Need some good ideas for our run

danigrace28

Hatching
5 Years
May 14, 2014
Hi everyone!
I have a 12 foot by 12 foot run. The run floor is now all dirt/mud. Once in a while we will throw down some scrap pieces of sod but the girls basically bury them and then we have more dirt/mud and craters. We were thinking of adding sand but I'm concerned they will just bury that too. I welcome any suggestions and ideas. Thanks!

Sand is excellent idea. I have that in my chicken area. Use coarse sand, Chicks dust bathe in it as well as scratch thru it and pick up grit. I also put in my grass clippings 4 inches deep (loose, not compacted). It keeps the girls busy scratching thru it, as well as keeping run dry and clean. In short time grass dries and becomes hay, and then eventually crumbles and turns back to earth. One note on putting grass into area, is to not pile it high or deep. A 3 to 4 inch layer will dry and not start to compost, which creates a nice environment. A mound of grass clippings start to compost and NASTIES start to happen. Do whatever you can in your particular situation, to keep area dry. You may have heard the term " madder than a wet hen "
D.gif

I keep about 4" of coarse wood mulch on top of the dirt. It works well, and the chicks always have something to scratch through. I add mulched leaves, grass clippings, straw, and/or hay, depending on what's available. It all drains well, and so far, there has never been an odor problem.

My run is 12 by 7ft and I started with 12 50lb bags of sand. It was a good start. I've probably added 5 or 6 bags since, just picking up a bag or two every now and then. In the spring I'm going to get some more delivered.

We put down about 6 inches of gravel, followed by a weed barrier, and on top of that about 8 inches of course sand. We only have bantams and so far they have not been able to dig down to the weed barrier. It drains wonderfully. In addition depending on the season I will throw in some veggies from the garden, leaves in the fall, sometimes coarse wood chips. They can all be raked out easily if it gets yucky, and then be down to sand again.

Back
Top Bottom