Need some guide on goslings

Deggy

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2020
Soo ive got 2 goslings today and they both seem quite alert and does well, this is my first time caring for goslings and my second time caring for waterfowls (first one being a pair of 2 peking ducks).

Need some guide on small details that i might've missed while researching them, and they dont seem to like the chick starter (theyre around 2 weeks old?) They try to eat it and then spat it out any suggestions on what to do? Ive mixed some vitamins with the water so they wont die out of nutrition deficiency but im not sure it would last for long if they keep refusing to eat.

I don’t recommend feeding them chick starter. Look up Mazuri Waterfowl Starter, it’s just for waterfowl! My goslings LOVE it! You can buy it online. Along with the waterfowl starter, you can give them an assortment of little treats, like sunflower seeds, cracked corn, meal worms, lettuce, kale, scrambled egg, and grass. Grass is where they will get their other source of nutrients. They’ll use their beak to dig in the ground to get the needed nutrients like grit in their diet. But for right now, since they’re so young, their main course should be the Mazuri Waterfowl Starter. In a few weeks, grass and starter can be about 50% each of their diet, along with a few treats like sunflower seeds and scrambled eggs every so often. Right now, my White Chinese goslings are 10 weeks old. At this point, most of their diet can now be grass. I still give them starter and will always give them some form of pellet or food along with grass since I don’t have the needed pasture for them to always constantly graze on. If you do though, you can have their diet on all grass once they are adults. Hope this helps!

But the problem is, we here basically use uuh how do i turn this word to english.. konsentrat and voer, some sort of feed thats widely used for all species of birds such as chickens ducks geese swans basically everything so its quite hard to find someone that sells mazuri and when i tried buying it online, the price is ludicrously high not to mention the delivery fee😢, any other ideas ?

But the problem is, we here basically use uuh how do i turn this word to english.. konsentrat and voer, some sort of feed thats widely used for all species of birds such as chickens ducks geese swans basically everything so its quite hard to find someone that sells mazuri and when i tried buying it online, the price is ludicrously high not to mention the delivery fee😢, any other ideas ?
You can buy Mazuri off of Amazon for about $25 or off their website which is $24. One bag lasts us about 7 weeks or so for our two goslings. But if you can’t get it, don’t worry!! You can feed the chick starter to them if it can be used for various birds like geese (which I’m positive you can) so you’re good to go! You can also give them lots of grass to dine on. Since the feed you’re talking about is used for various birds I wouldn’t worry! My goslings sometimes spit out or act like they don’t like whatever I give them, but they still eat in the end anyway. Don’t worry though!! If the feed you say is for swans, geese, ducks, etc you’re ok. Sometimes they may act like they don’t like it, but they will eat it. That’s what my goslings do. They can be a bit picky. 😆
Btw what kind of geese are they? Just wondering. Do you have any pictures of them? I’d love to see them!

Last edited:
I’m sure you can just use konsentrat and voer. But make sure if you are giving them chick starter to give them non-medicated.

There they are :D , not sure what their breed is but the breeder said its a local breed, its got a knob like the chinese but not as prominent

Attachments

• IMG_20200812_113215.jpg
    IMG_20200812_113215.jpg
    625.2 KB · Views: 12
Oh and ive got 1 last question, ive read that you should handle goslings often but when i try to pick them up they keep puking its not a disease ive read that when the stomach is higher than their head or when they panic they puke their food/water out. If they keep puking everytime i pick them up how am i supposed to even handle them ?

There they are :D , not sure what their breed is but the breeder said its a local breed, its got a knob like the chinese but not as prominent
Aww they’re so adorable!! The ducks seem very intrigued by them lol. Yeah I’m not sure what their breed is. It will take some time for their own characteristics to show and determine their breed. Once they’re full grown, you’ll for sure be able to tell their breed. But at this age, a lot of goslings just look like fluffy light yellow poofs.

I’ve never actually had that problem of a goose puking on me. But, since you say holding their stomach higher than their head can make them puke or if they’re panicked it can also make them like, then you could try to just hang around them for a while until they stop feeling nervous or scared. I know my goslings tend to overreact and get scared easily over things. It just takes time for them to get used to everything. Holding them is definitely good to do though! Definitely make sure that their head is higher than their stomach when holding them. You might start by just having them sit in your lap first and then once they’re comfortable with that, you could start holding them.

Hmm yeah, i think i should make sure theyre used to sitting on my lap, they panic the second i seperate them so ive added a barrier between both of them to make sure theyre not overly bonded with each other. And the ducks weren't intrigued lol theres a reason why i put the ducks in their pen before releasing the goslings.... They will literally shred the tiny yellow floof balls apart

Back
Top Bottom