Need some hatching buddies - Hatching May 24-28

Quote:
Oh good!
thumbsup.gif
Pretty bird.

Well, I woke up to two barnevelder chicks. A third attempted to zip (got about a 1/3 of the way) then died. One of the chicks that hatched doesn't look good at all...it is laying on the ground and won't lift its head when I tap on the window. I am guessing the egg that exploded took its toll on these poor little guys. I have to go out of town today, but will be back tonight. We'll see what things look like then.

Lesson learned: be much more willing to throw out eggs...

I think my hatch is done....I have 13 BBS Jerseys all in the brooder...that left 8 unhatched eggs. Don't know why they didn't hatch but they are still in. I read somewhere that a good hatch is complete within 24 hours. My first pip was on Thursday with most hatching out on Saturday and my "due" date being Thursday evening. I'd have to say...this was not a successful hatch even though the chicks I have are beautiful and I'm thrilled. I'll wait another day and then do a "eggtospy" to see what happened.

Quote:
I hope at least one of your barnevelders turn out nicely Stevenson....we have all been learning as we go and your experience will also help us to remember to toss when in doubt.

I ended up with 13 chicks out of 24 eggs......

I am still having incubator temp issues. It is only our second hatch in a new incubator and it was a staggered hatch at that.
They chicks were a FULL DAY late the first hatch. .. We adjusted the temps and the second hatch was 1/2 day late.

I think I have the temps right now, but need to do one more hatch to know for sure.
HOWEVER, I am burnt out on hatching right now . .. . maybe in the fall I will try again!

Well Stevenson, I hope when you come home, it will be to at least, two healthy Barnevelder chicks..and hopefully more will have hatched!

fife, I think that sounds pretty good. You have a lot of little fuzzys running around.

I actually have a pip in another hatch I'm doing. Some that a lady gave me, and is taking them back when hatched. Has anyone heard of the Rex RIR chicken? That's what the dad is. Not sure myself, even looked it up. She sent pictures of him, but he looks like a pretty RIR to me, only lighter.?
The hens are White Australorps, a couple of Leghorns..those eggs are huge! Reg. Austraolorps, and buff Orpinton. Nice brown eggs from the Orpintons and Australorps.
My last hatch for a while is in another bator..the Porcelain D'Uccles. Then, I'm thinking I need a break. I've said that before, but I really do.
big_smile.png

Stevenson, let us know what you have when you get home.

Well, I am home! Long day of driving!

Both Barnevelders seem to be doing really well! They are still in the incubator because I want to give the other two eggs just a little more time.

I took advantage of my trip to Nashville, TN today and picked up 5 Wheaten Ameraucana chicks....then I stopped at Beaver Dam, KY and bought 5 Bourbon Red turkey poults. I have a lot of youngsters to deal with now! LOL

Hi all! After church I came home and found another egg hatched! Total shock... However....there were 7 eggs unhatched...no pips..nothing. Unusual...temp and RH perfect the whole time. So...I decided to end the hatch...due date was last Thursday afterall. When I removed the eggs...one had bacteria growth in a circle on the bottom. All 7 had dead full formed chicks inside. Pretty sad and no idea why....didn't have this issue the first two rounds and it is a sad ending to my seasons hatch. I do have Oxine and will clean and disinfect for next year. I'm guessing the one spoiled egg sent bacteria through the remaining ones....sort of like Stevenson's exploding egg.
I am happy with m 14 although the last 3 were little runts.

Back
Top Bottom