Need some help identifying breed. Maybe you can help?

Lynn725

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 21, 2013
Kentucky
Ok folks. I bought this hen because I thought she was absolutely beautiful. Later I also found out she's mean! She likes to peck me, lol. Not a lot, and not really hard enough to try to hurt me, but I think she's just really skittish. I've had her for over a week and tried to love and pet on her and get her used to having someone make a fuss over her. Who knows how she was treated before I got her.
Anyway, when I asked the seller what breed she was, he didn't know. When I asked how old she was, he didn't know. Can anyone clear up these two questions for me? Is there even a way to determine age without being the one who hatched her yourself?

This is the best side pic I could get. A him? Really? What makes you guys say that? Oh, and keep in mind I am NOT arguing, I'm still learning a LOT about chickens, and any info/advice is highly appreciated...just know that I do question a lot, so I can learn. :) And if it IS a him, I'll need to separate him from my white rooster...it's odd, they don't fight at all, and only my white one crows. Odd? or is there a reason?
Of all the research I have done, I figured red coloring, rose comb & black/green tail indicated there was some Rhode Island Red/New Hampshire in there. But, like I said, still learning! So I wanted to reach out for help. She/he did come from a guy who had two beautiful RIRs that were already sold, and some Barred Rocks that were also already sold. The other RIRs had single combs, though, so I don't know. This chicken breeding stuff is hard. =/

And, here's my white rooster, Dale. Don't know what he is, either, got him from the same person I got the other one from.

I guessed male because of his hackle and saddle feathers. He may just be young and late to crow. You might not have to seperate him from your other rooster, especially if they are getting along now. I keep three roosters together without any problems. All the breeds you have mentioned...RIR, NH and BR are usually single combed although I know there is a variety of rose combed RIR. Chicken genetics are crazy hard to understand...there are so many variables.

Interesting....and yes, chicken genetics are INSANE. How can I find out gender for sure? I know hens can sometimes take on rooster traits and looks (spurs, crowing, feathers, combs, etc.) so is there a sure fire way of determining the gender? Female means I keep her and eat her eggs later. Male means I eat HIM soon.

My "hen" started crowing yesterday morning :) Thought you guys might enjoy that as much as I did, lmbo!
lol.png

it is DEFINITELY a rooster we know, it's comb is of a roo's. anyway, it looks like it is a buff wyandotte, not sure MAYBE orpington... hard to tell!!!!
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom