Need Some Help, Please!

Kittles

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2016
Hi everyone!

I just joined in order to ask this question. For all of those that have some experience with Duck eggs and incubation... if there is an embryo growing, but I cannot see any visible veins that means it is dead, correct?

I am not sure. I noticed it two days ago, left it and candled it again. The embryo is bigger and I can see the 'eye spot' but cannot see a single vein. They are white duck eggs, so I do not think that is my problem.

I hate to ask, but should I toss them? This is for a Kindergarten class to teach life science and if I need to replace the egg with another one, please let me know!

(Don't worry, we already have homes lined up for the ducklings :) Some of the people around her are nearly jumping for the chance to keep one or two as pets. There are only 16 eggs and I know not all will develop, but it is three eggs that have this problem.)

I have been hand turning it 5 times a day, minimum of 3 as per the instructions from Metzer's farm. And, misting them to keep humidity up with warm water. Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you!!!

welcome-byc.gif
There is a point as the embryo grows when the veins can become indistinct or hard to see. When you candle do you see the 'eye' moving? If so the eggs are still viable.

How many days are you along? I've seen eggs, white ones, that didn't show veins until week 2. Just be patient, if they are truly gone you've got some time until you need to worry about them growing too much bacteria.

No wait, I am sorry. I got them last Monday not Wednesday. That means they are 12 days along.

Back
Top Bottom