Need some help please

pecangrove

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
SC
I have a Welsh Harlequin duck and a Khaki Campbell drake - about 2 months old now. We have them in a decent sized pen, about 6x10. It has an old dog house for their coop, though they only use it when it rains heavy, otherwise they hang out under the large hydrangea bush. LOL There is a small kiddie pool that I have to clean all - the - time, and their food/water dishes. My problem is that even though I have put down about 2-3" of sand and have spread a bit of Sweet PDZ over the ground (though I don't know how much I should use), it still constantly stinks. My hubby is NOT happy, esp since their pen is next to our back door and patio where we grill/eat a lot. I rake it through every day, change the water constantly, but nothing seems to help. So, I am now wondering if I should let them have run of the back yard during the day when I'm home. It is enclosed with a cyclone fence, 4' high. We do have a couple of cats and a Shih Tzu dog, but ever since the female pecked at the dog through the fence he is scared of them. LOL And he wouldn't be in the yard with them anyway. Only possibly the cats would go in there, as they can go over the fence all over the place.

So, question is, should I let the free roam some in hopes of cutting down on smell? Is there anything else I can do to the pen to help with the odor? Should I trash the pen and do something totally different for them?

Thanks for the help - I really want to keep them but I have to keep everyone happy.

I have a Welsh Harlequin duck and a Khaki Campbell drake - about 2 months old now. We have them in a decent sized pen, about 6x10. It has an old dog house for their coop, though they only use it when it rains heavy, otherwise they hang out under the large hydrangea bush. LOL There is a small kiddie pool that I have to clean all - the - time, and their food/water dishes. My problem is that even though I have put down about 2-3" of sand and have spread a bit of Sweet PDZ over the ground (though I don't know how much I should use), it still constantly stinks. My hubby is NOT happy, esp since their pen is next to our back door and patio where we grill/eat a lot. I rake it through every day, change the water constantly, but nothing seems to help. So, I am now wondering if I should let them have run of the back yard during the day when I'm home. It is enclosed with a cyclone fence, 4' high. We do have a couple of cats and a Shih Tzu dog, but ever since the female pecked at the dog through the fence he is scared of them. LOL And he wouldn't be in the yard with them anyway. Only possibly the cats would go in there, as they can go over the fence all over the place.

So, question is, should I let the free roam some in hopes of cutting down on smell? Is there anything else I can do to the pen to help with the odor? Should I trash the pen and do something totally different for them?

Thanks for the help - I really want to keep them but I have to keep everyone happy.
Letting them out to roam in a safe yard will help although they will probably want to hang out on your patio, which you'll have to take the hose to. I don't think at 2 months old the cat would be a problem but the dog would be so best to keep it away like you said. is their pen in the sun? sometimes just good ole sunshine and raking will help.

I'm going through a similar challenge right now as well. Our run is luckily in the back corner of the yard but I can still smell it. It does help to have them free range around the yard. But as Miss Lydia mentioned they like to hang out on patios. And poop all over them.
I'm using the deep litter method in our run. Lots and lots of leaves. Still stinks, lol.

I'm going through a similar challenge right now as well. Our run is luckily in the back corner of the yard but I can still smell it. It does help to have them free range around the yard. But as Miss Lydia mentioned they like to hang out on patios. And poop all over them.
I'm using the deep litter method in our run. Lots and lots of leaves. Still stinks, lol.
I'm wondering if DE would work in the duck yard. sprinkled around it does help drying so might be worth a try.

I use straw in our 26' x 10' run with my 5 poop machines (Muscovys) and no smell, even by the kiddie pool which I change once a day, though I have to refill several times a day.
roll.png

I spread clean straw around the heavily traveled areas every couple of days or so and they keep it well compacted (they do love to pile it in the pool though). I have yet to rake it out and it's going on 6 months. The ground beneath is just dirt and it gets sun in the morning and is shady in the afternoon. Hope this helps!

Mike

Back
Top Bottom