Need some help think one of my girls is sick

Imataken

Chirping
Jul 19, 2021
Hello everyone I'm new to being a chicken mama got my girls day before Easter so far so good. Yesterday evening I was out sitting with my girls like usual when I noticed one of them seemed to being napping alot on and off so thought maybe she didn't get enough sleep night before about a hour later notice while everyone else was free roaming she was in the kiddie pool dust bath just sitting there with her butt raised in the air kinda thought that was odd then she would get up seem like she needed to poop little bit runny poops would come out then she would just fall asleep for a min and this went on for awhile I was getting ready to make up a bed for her inside but then as I was doing that she followed the rest up the ladder to go in the coop for the night this morning I let them out at 545 am she seemed OK drinking and eating so I thought all was well she laid a egg like she does everyday then again this evening same time as last night I let them out to free roam and she was under my steps with her butt in the air I could see her getting ready to poop and this big about the size of a small egg came out it was like a big foam ball and she's still just sitting under the steps been over a hour this is what came out

Attachments

• 1629237816602396617765731255284.jpg
    1629237816602396617765731255284.jpg
    829.2 KB · Views: 3
Here is another picture looks almost like the foam insulating spray that you use around your house for cracks it's not white it's like a cream color

Attachments

• 16292378884381033387262075614499.jpg
    16292378884381033387262075614499.jpg
    633.3 KB · Views: 3
It's a soft shelled egg. Pretty much it saps the energy of them. Mine have laid a few with the high temps. What type of feed are they on? Do your hens have oyster shell on the side?

I've had a couple soft shelled eggs when they 1st started laying but this didn't look anything like that I even took a shovel and smeared it all around to see what was inside making sure no worms it's was just a ball of gunk she did lay this morning and this only seems to happen in the evening she will act and look sick then couple hours later she's normal again... I feed layer pellets which my girls don't like they like the pellets unless I add water to make it like a mash so I've been doing that for about a month I've got a grit feeder and a oaster shell feeder the grit they eat I seen them eat that but I've never noticed anyone eating the oaster shells I rarely have to fill that one.

It could be a lash egg which is an infection and she would need antibiotics.
As far as the oyster shell, I also add crushed dried egg shells and citracal (or similar vitamin d/ calcium supplement). The vitamin d helps the calcium to absorb. You can also add tums to their oyster shell to help with calcium issues.

Back
Top Bottom