Need some help with little duckling

farmertank

Songster
12 Years
Apr 28, 2007
Linden TN
I didn't post this in the emergency section, because I don't think it is. Please move it if you feel it should be there Mods
wink.png

When Hershey left her rock cave with all her babies 1 got stuck in some ground vines. I'm not sure how long he has been there, but when I found him he was peeping really loud and very cold. He couldn't hold his head up. I had to cut the vines to untangle him, they were wraped around his whole body. I took him inside under a heat lamp. all last night I checked on him. he is much stonger this morining and even drank some. I pleased with his progress.

Here is the thing... His one leg isn't working, it is warm and he can move it and his foot. It's stiff though and wants to hang out the back. It's not swollen and I'm pretty sure not broken. I'm afraid it's "spraddle leg". I have had this in a few chickens, but was never good at fixing it and had to cull them.
Can anyone tell me what I can do if anything I would really be greatful.

Here are a few pics.

Notice how the one leg is straight out back.
IM002348.jpg

Here is another with it sticking out
IM002345.jpg

see I don't see anything wrong visually
IM002352.jpg

IM002355.jpg

Thanks
Julie

He may of just pulled a muscle.. Don't let him run around too much.. keep him still so he doesn't over work it ... you might try letting him /her float in warm water ( not hot) a few times a day to help it heal.. Just dry off good afterwards and keep warm..
The warm water floating helps..

Thanks I will try the water. I was afraid to get him wet, because he was so cold yesterday, but he seem fine now and like you said, I'll dry him good afterwards.

He is in a very small box with a stuffed duck. he can't move much, but the leg always ends up behind him.

Thank you for responding,

Julie

Quote:
Whats Niacin and where do I get it, what does it do? I have given him sugar water and he is now starting to eat, he also pooped
tongue.png
so that's all working.

Julie

Niacin is a b vitamin. You can get it in the form of brewer's yeast (you can get the tablets at Walmart). Sprinkle it on the bird's feed or mix it in. Sorry I don't have a dosage...I just crush some tablets and mix it in with the chick starter I give my duckling.

You can also try Poly Vi Sol vitamin drops in the water dish. That is pretty high in niacin. You can also find that at Walmart by the bird supplies.

Ducks need more niacin in their diet than chickens. One symptom of a niacin problem in ducks is leg issues.

Last edited:
Quote:
I had heard that Niacin was good for ducklings, but I never realized I could provide it by picking up a bottle of brewer's yeast tablets from Wal-Mart! I'm expecting ducklings from Sandhill next week, so that tip will come in handy. As a matter a fact, I already have some brewer's yeast in the house - we crush it over the dog's food in an attempt to naturally keep fleas at bay, which seems to be working.

I have a McMurray's Jumbo Pekin duck who's 3 or 4 this spring (I got her from a 4-H family that got bored with the project), who has trouble getting around because...well, she's jumbo. She has a huge outdoor run and a pond that she barely leaves, yet her legs swell up under her enormous weight. I wonder if the brewer's yeast would help her too?

Leafy greens are also a good source of niacin, as well as other vitamins.

I also think it might be a strain. Rest and a little physical therapy (swimming) would probably be good. Watch him/her carefully in the water, though, s/he may tire quickly if the leg is sore.

I hope it heals quickly.

Thanks all of you. I have brewers yeast, so I'll crush one and sprinkle on feed. I didn't know a new born could lack Vit. B. I never had this happen.

I will let him swim in a few hours, I'm really busy(cooking & baking) for tonight, we are having company kind of a late Easter. I know if I swim him now I'll forget to watch what I'm cooking lol.

Julie

Ok I gave him a swim and he doesn't use the leg at all, it just stick out behind him. I am now drying him off anf I'm going to band aid the leg with the other so he has to put wait on it.

Any other suggestions?

julie

Back
Top Bottom