Need some help with wound care, nothing life threatening.

eastbaychicks

Songster
10 Years
Aug 19, 2009
Livermore
I am trying to integrate... and it's not going so well.

My Maran sustained a huge injury... well not huge but her little comb was just about completely severed off. It is still not fully grown, will she wind up with a smaller comb or will it continue to grow? By the time I found it the wound was healing fine, but her entire head was covered in dried blood... so very sad. I cleaned her up and popped her back in with her friends. I'll be keeping her far away from the perpetrator. In the mean time should I just clean the wound every day or what?

It's pretty late, most the folks on the E coast are in bed for the night. I'd clean her up and put some antibiotic ointment on it--DON'T use one with a pain reliver in it. Don't know about putting her back in where her wounds are bound to attract the other birds attention. I'd keep her in a warm dry place (I have a hen in a dog crate in my bathroom) for a day or two. You can keep her safe from her flock and keep her cleaned up to. You might need to post again in the a.m. when more people are up. Good luck with her

Back
Top Bottom