1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need some help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HOTONE, Aug 13, 2013.

1. HOTONE

HOTONE Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Peachland North Carolina
    I have a hen who is sitting on her eggs and another hens. So far she has hatched 9. I found an egg underneath her that it was trying to hatch but the membrane was like rubber so I opened the egg and got the chick out. I have the hen and the chicks in a container and her box she is sitting on is in the crate. When I put the chicks outside of the box she gets upset. Can I take her away from the chicks and leave them in the crate with food and water and let her finish sitting on the rest of the eggs elsewhere. I know the chicks are hungrey. I am including a pic to show what I mean.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. aquagolda

aquagolda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    New Jersey
    yes you can but if there a day old leave them with there mom when they turn 2 days old they can be on there own

3. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

actually four days old.

4. HOTONE

HOTONE Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Peachland North Carolina
    thank you all

5. aquagolda

aquagolda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    New Jersey
    well I got my chicks at 2 days old

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    You can take chicks away from a hen as soon as they're hatched and raise them in a brooder if you want to. Hatchery chicks are artificially incubated and never see an adult chicken. They're "on their own" from the minute they hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by