Need some home remedies

HeatherLynn

Crowing
12 Years
May 11, 2009
Kentucky, Cecilia
Ok well they said I have acute brochitis and gave me antibiotics and a steroid. Which have done nothing for me really. Just finished the meds and I am still so sick. Still getting random fevers. Granted the kids are all still sick too and I am getting almost no sleep because of that so it may not be that the meds are not doing anything they just have too much to fight.

I am looking for home remedies. I am getting very tender in the ribs and tummy from all the coughing. At times I get a bit of soreness in my back when I try to do more around the house. So tired.

I have the side worry that they found tiny lung nodules last year and even though they didn't grow yet, this automatically makes me freak out about them too. I deal with panic attacks and any type of difficulty breathing is very very stressful. Of course being stressed makes it all so much worse too. I get stressed and for some odd reason my ribs hurt anyway. Add massive coughing fits on top of that and my ribs are killing me. Vicious cycle I know.

I just need something that will help me kick this thing. I have been drinking tea made from bay leaves and lemon. Or just plain home made lemonaid. Taking mucinex. Just finished antibiotics and went ahead and started a nice large dose of probiotics to get my system back on track. I also am taking elderberry lozenges every 3 hours. Any other suggestions? I am open to just about everything right now. Tired of being sick and tired of being worried about being sick.

If anyone can shoot a few prayers too that would help. I am trying to cope with 4 kids and me all pretty sick. My husband helps when he gets home but I can still use a bit of divine grace and strength right now.

OH, my! Be careful, pneumonia can sneak up on a person......What about using some good old fashioned Vicks vapor rub on the chest? That works wonders for a cough.....My husband swears by tea with some honey in it.

Don't forget to take care of yourself! Prayers and hugs to you!

Sharon

I would recommend that before you start collecting home remedies (which I have nothing against, per se) that you return to the doctor and strongly request an xray. It could be pneumonia or something else. Whatever it is, it's nothing to mess around with from your description.

Please take care.

I should have mentioned. The ER did an xray. They didn't pass it along to the doc but the ER said is was not yet pneumonia. Praying they were right.

The lemon seems to be helping a ton but still getting pretty sore from the coughing. I do sweeten with honey. I usually take it straight but swallowing it so congested has not been happening. I may try to go back to the Dr tomorrow and see if they want to try something else. I am just looking for every way I can to build myself up enough so my body can fight this.

Home Remedies: a man with cystic fibrosis swore that Pinot Noir wine was more effective at pain relief than ibuprofen(Motrin). He even found a source for nonalcoholic Pinot Noir.

Another home remedy: avoid all dairy/cheese/milk/butter and bananas. They can thicken your mucous, which you need to stay thin and slimy to cough out.

With a painful cough, I believe pain relief can save you from getting worse. You have to be able to breathe and move air out to prevent pooling secretions which will promote more fungal and bacterial growth. Take whatever pain medicine has been prescribed.

If you wind up sleeping a lot, make sure your loved ones roll you every hour or two to move your pooling secretions, hang your top half down, like over a couch, and cough the stuff out. don't let it sit still and pool. Breathe in the steam from a pot of hot water, drape a towel like a tent over your head til your nose is dripping and your lung secretions are nice and moist and cough it out.

Old Fashioned; avoid sugar! Bacteria and Fungii luuuurve it. during an illness, its all water, water, water, only a little sugar, like whatever's in an apple already, no sugar added.

Yay Chicks! :

I would recommend that before you start collecting home remedies (which I have nothing against, per se) that you return to the doctor and strongly request an xray. It could be pneumonia or something else. Whatever it is, it's nothing to mess around with from your description.

Please take care.

X a zillion!​

Also, Mucinex does help a lot to loosen the phlem and help you get it up...
But still..sounds like you need to go back to the doc...

pertussis ("whooping cough") is still going around. Has your doctor swabbed your throats for that? Even though you've already had antibiotics, there used to be home remedies to alleviate the several months of coughing which pertussis leaves behind.

Back
Top Bottom