Need some suggestions on getting started

QCZoo

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 20, 2012
Queen Creek, AZ
My daughter and I are just getting started...we have had a small flock of hens for about 6 months, and managed to keep them alive through the hot, hot summer here in the desert.
So, she would like to start planning for her first county fair in the spring, both for showmanship and breed class.

and I have been thinking about starting a breeding flock. One breed for now, maybe adding a second breed later to raise and sell for local kids for fair.

Any thoughts on beginner breeds? We have a flock of 14 hens and 2 roosters, various breeds. the roos are a black copper marans and a barred rock.
the hens are frizzles, wyandottes, jersey giants, speckled sussex, australorp, cinnamon queen, rhode island red, mix breed, an easter egger and a Yokohama.

Any suggestions welcome! MUST be heat tolerant...we don't get a lot of freeze, but we get a ton of heat in the summer!

Leisa

welcome-byc.gif
Well lets see, it should be a breed you love. I've just started breeding d'Uccles. I finally got some nice birds to work with. I'm also working on Olive Eggers. You have to be willing to cull or have a place for culls to go, or you will be over run with birds. It is a fun hobby, I am going to show for the first time in November.
Michele

thanks:) we're kind of stuck between cochins, speckled sussex and orpingtons.there are a ton of people out here breeding Polish and Silkies so, as cute as they are, we're going to stay away from them. But there's so many beautiful birds out there to choose from!

Leisa

Cochins are nice birds. They let you blow dry them. Big bird means big poop. I got rid of mine, because of that, and I wanted to work on Olive Eggers. Check out the threads on the birds you like. Ask questions lots of nice people on here.
Michele

Hi QCZOO,
welcome-byc.gif
So much fun deciding on beeds for your flock! The sites below are also great for getting the kids involved in the choosing, if you want!
wink.png

Here's a great place to get started. 60 breeds to choose from. Also notes if they are heat hardy.
http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html
If you need more pics to see what colors the breeds come in, check out Feathersite:
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html
(click on "chickens" and that will take you to the poultry encyclopedia"
jumpy.gif

Couple of suggestions. Maybe a lighter colored bird to handle the heat better.
I believe all the breeds below are APA approved so the kids can show them. The Henderson chart will tell.
Naked Neck or Transylvanian Naked Neck or Turken
( they look funny but handle the heat real well! No sure what all colors they come in.) ;
Plymouth Rock (excellent vintage strains available in several colors. see BYC "Heritage Large Fowl Thread");
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/400344/heritage-large-fowl-thread
Delaware (rare APA recognized breed with lovely black and white columbian coloring. Just had a new book on the breed published!)
Best wishes for success with your flock!
D.gif

Karen in western PA, USA
Oh, one other thing. Once you decide on a breed(s), try to buy it from a breeder with weather somewhat like your own ( doesn't have t be exact, smile). Veteran breeders I have read agree that there's something to this if you want the birds to do best without having to go thru acclimatizing changes. For instance an Alaskan-bred bird would not thrive well in Alabama w/o acclimating to the climate. But TX-bred bird would probably do fine in AZ. If you buy from a cooler clime, try to ring your birds home during your coolest season. etc.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom