Need someone's knowledge with duck eggs....

You're probably ok just eyeballing it. My duck eggs are about the same size as a large chicken egg, so I don't adjust at all. You can always test it out by cracking a chicken egg into one bowl and a duck egg into another. If it looks like about the same amount of egg, don't adjust. If it looks like about twice as much (which I think is about normal for a large duck's egg) then use one duck egg in place of 2 chicken eggs.

I bet your friend's husband is allergic to duck eggs. The same thing happens to me when I eat them fried. If they are cooked in a less "runny" style, I'm fine.

^great question, was wondering that too. And thank all y'all for the wisdom. I know a friend who cooked duck eggs for her husband one morning fried, he thought they were chicken eggs, and he was sick all day and a while after that. That kind of detered me from duck eggs for consumption.

The proteins in duck eggs are a bit different from those of chickens, from what I read.

Something I do with duck eggs since their yolks are larger, is use one in my cornbread recipe instead of oil. So rather than one chicken egg, I use two duck eggs.

Our runners lay eggs in the 75 gram neighborhood, about the size of jumbo chicken eggs. My Pekins laid larger eggs, and depending on how I wanted the baked items to turn out (more like cake or more moist), I would use one Pekin egg instead of two chicken eggs.

You can eat a duck just about any way you can eat a chicken egg. In my opinion, they don't taste any different. Although some people have said that they prefer duck eggs over chicken eggs. My grandma is allergic to chicken eggs and so far, it looks like she can eat duck eggs.

I can't tell the difference in a blind taste test between chicken eggs and duck eggs. My wife can.

I like my chicken eggs well cooked, so I may be missing out on texture differences that are apparent to others.

As I have gotten older, I have become allergic to chicken eggs. It is not serious, but I get some tightness and itching in my throat when I eat them. I don't have that problem with duck eggs.

The only major differences I notice between duck and chicken eggs are:
- The whites are whiter on duck eggs (slightly yellow tinted on chicken eggs)
- Duck eggs can also be a little firmer if hard cooked, as they have less water and more protein than chicken eggs
- Duck eggs make far better scrambled eggs or custard than chicken eggs - much creamier. Duck egg creme brulee....yum yum yum
- If you boil a duck egg it is far less likely to crack and send white floating all over the place, as the membrane is much stronger than a chicken egg
- If I am baking anything I always use duck eggs instead of chicken eggs. They give a moister result.

But I doubt that anyone eating my duck and chicken eggs could notice any difference in flavour. They are almost identical in that respect, and I have done many comparative taste tests of both kinds of eggs cooked the same way, side by side. Some of my friends claim to be able to detect a big difference but I really think that that is just a little bit of a bias against duck eggs. Some people have their own ideas about what is and is not good/ok to eat.

But most people I know are really really keen to get their hands on my duck eggs. I have no trouble finding good homes for the excess ones!

Last edited:
I like them for French toast. Last year I made my class
french toast for breakfast one morning and they all had seconds. I'm not crazy about them scrambled.

Not to hijack this thread, but when adjusting a recipe, how much do you adjust? Is an average duck egg about twice an average chicken egg?

Weigh the chicken egg (in its shell, less messy and the weight of the shell isn't enough to make a difference) that you would normally use in a recipe; then, weigh your duck and adjust that way.

Many years ago, when I first bought some duck eggs from a farm shop as a treat, an old farmers wife told me how they make the very best Victoria sandwich sponge cake and her very straightforward "recipe" was: weigh your duck eggs, add the same weight in flour, sugar and butter; voila!

Thanks you guys. This questions a little off topic, but does anyone know if you can substitute dog food for eggs? It was a question that came up in my house the other day.

Thanks you guys. This questions a little off topic, but does anyone know if you can substitute dog food for eggs? It was a question that came up in my house the other day.

do you mean giving eggs in place of dog food? if so I give my dogs a raw duck egg in their food everyday, I cook for my dogs and supplement with kibble and raw duck eggs.

I don't think that would work for a Victoria Sponge.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom