Need studies for distance from coop to dwelling

jamesramsay

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 30, 2012
Good evening all,
We have been working with our city about changing the laws here in our town. Currently, the law is no free range, and coop has to be 25' from bordering properties. Needless to say, in a city, it wouldn't work. I am in need of research or your current ordances that would state how far a coop should be from a dwelling. From all my research, its 15'. I havn't been able to set an exact distance from the CDC or university.

I would like to present the city with facts that a coop can be a set distance from a dwelling. If I have this info, it shall pass!

Thank you for any help given.
James
Mount Holly, NJ

It really depends on why there is a minimum distance in the first place.

If the ordinance is to prevent odor intrusion, then 15 feet would be fine. If it is to prevent noise intrusion, then 25 feet is better.

There really are no "facts" as to where to site a coop. Some crispy clean coops with quiet hens could be right outside the neighbor's window and not be noticed, whereas a smelly, noisy coop would be a nuisance at 50 feet.

The commonly cited sound level for a hen squawking after laying an egg is roughly 60 decibels, about the level of a normal conversation outside. But I can hear our hens from 150', so it really depends.

It's all about compromise and what the municipality is trying to accomplish. Our city has a 25' requirement, as do many others in our area. It seems to be working well.

Thank you, you gave me some ideas. I believe the 25' from bordering property is a way the city can reduce the numbers of permits for poultry. Our average lot size in the city makes it difficult to have chickens.

Good evening all,
We have been working with our city about changing the laws here in our town. Currently, the law is no free range, and coop has to be 25' from bordering properties. Needless to say, in a city, it wouldn't work. I am in need of research or your current ordances that would state how far a coop should be from a dwelling. From all my research, its 15'.  I havn't been able to set an exact distance from the CDC or university.

I would like to present the city with facts that a coop can be a set distance from a dwelling.  If I have this info, it shall pass!

Thank you for any help given.
James
Mount Holly, NJ

I had on ordinance that stated I had to be 50' from the nearest property line. I didn't have that so I had to apply for a variance. Go to

Last edited:
...I believe the 25' from bordering property is a way the city can reduce the numbers of permits for poultry...

When we were in the process of getting our ordinance passed, many people thought that the city would be overrun with chickens. In our proposal we estimated about 40 permits total, in a city with a population of 12,000+.

The ordinance passed in 2010. So far, there have been only 12 permits issued...

My city of 164,000, in a metroplex of 4,000,000 decided a few years ago to do away with setbacks specific to coops and pens for chickens. If the coop is large enough (over 200 sq ft or over 8' tall), building setbacks come into play. Existing noise and other nuisance ordinances cover any nuisances ones birds might create. ALL single family zones are allowed 6 hens, and in the ag. district there are no limits on hens or roosters (or peafowl).

Previous setbacks here were from the coop or pen to the neighboring bedrooms, not to property lines. I've seen plenty of other zoning codes that listed distances from residences, not from property lines.

My local ordinances state that 5 or more chickens must be kept at least 150 feet from neighboring residences. Goats are also 150 feet, pigs are 300.

Luckily I have enough land where I could do this, I think 150 feet is excessive. 75 would be sufficient.

Back
Top Bottom