Need suggestions for oyster shell dispenser

Bookworm chick

Songster
10 Years
May 27, 2009
Salem County, NJ
Currently I'm using the small dry cat food containers for the grit and oyster shell. They're sitting on bricks to give them height. This worked really well until the pullets started laying in January. I went out this morning and they'd knocked the oyster shell container off the bricks on the floor and scattered it all over. I just filled it last week too!
barnie.gif

I've seen those wall-mounted dispensers specifically for chickens but wondered what others use. (they're kinda pricey) I feed Flock Raiser which doesn't have calcium so I need the separate oyster shell for my layers.
Any suggestions?

I don't know how many chickens you have or your setup, but for my 4 I use one of the plastic hanging cage cups. They only cost a couple of dollars and I hang it on the wire right on the side of their run. It works great for me and I only have to fill it about every couple of weeks. I use another one for grit. If you need something larger, there are large cage cups that hang, or you could nail or screw a larger container to a wall. I've also seen some great ideas using pvc pipe. Try a search for pvc feeders and maybe you'll get inspired
smile.png
Good luck.

I really like the PVC pipe design and for something like grit and oyster shell it's great as that is not someting you need a lot of out at one time. The pipe can be cut to a nice length. There is another topic on the board that has specific instructions. Could not find it quickly but will keep looking.

We use small craft type metal buckets. We hang them on a nail in the coop to raise them a bit. They are fairly deep so we don't fill them all the way full to keep the ckickens from raking it out. I think we got them at Hobby Lobby, or AC Moore or one of those crafty kind of places.

CIMG3775.jpg

I found metal rabbit feeders at TSC. There are two metal tab "thingy's" on the back of it, I just slid the tabs over my chicken wire. It stays on fine, and it was under $6.

Here is a picture of the front of it:

26636_100_3425.jpg

I use old bean cans. Make a cut down one side from the top for a few inches. Fold the two sides over so that they form a V. Drill a few holes in the bottom for drainage if you'll be hanging it in a place where it can get wet then nail to a wall or post about ten to twelve inches off the ground. Fill with shell and/or grit and you're good to go.

.....Alan.

A.T. Hagan :

I use old bean cans. Make a cut down one side from the top for a few inches. Fold the two sides over so that they form a V. Drill a few holes in the bottom for drainage if you'll be hanging it in a place where it can get wet then nail to a wall or post about ten to twelve inches off the ground. Fill with shell and/or grit and you're good to go.

.....Alan.

I just screwed my washed cans directly into the wall of each pen, free & easy
wink.png

I use an old tuna can which I like because it is wide but shallow. I nailed it to a post - free and easy. I put it at a height where I can still get the mower under it but its not too high for them to eat out of it (about level with their backs). They can't knock it over and they can reach in all the way to the bottom if necessary (though I typically keep it fairly full).

Back
Top Bottom