Need suggestions for solar powered coop lighting!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by erin175, Feb 3, 2014.

1. erin175

erin175 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    My hens need a nightlight!! Lol. Not really for heat, just a 60 watt bulb (or similar) for at night, would love for it to have a timer and it must be solar powered (with a decent amount of cord running from the solar panel to the fixture). I'm having trouble finding such a thing, any suggestions? Thanks!

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Not sure exactly what you are looking for,but i made a couple of solar lights for my girls/boys. How i made mine was i removed the top of solar garden lights and glued them to the top of mason jars or they can be glued inside jars. I have them hanging inside and a couple outside. They also look great as deck lighting.

3. ClovisMan

ClovisMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2014
    New Braunfels, TX
    If you only want to run a light or 2 then you cannot beat the Harbor Freight set-up.

http://www.harborfreight.com/Solar-...iMTU5Ljk5IiwicHJvZHVjdF9p ZCI6Ijg1MjcifQ==

Just a add a 12 volt trolling motor battery and you are set. You can run the lights 24/7 without problem or extra cost. Some people frown on Harbor Freight, but this works. If you had plans to run anything else beside a couple of bulbs, my suggestions would be totally different.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Chicken don't need light at night.
    Mine go to roost before sunset and stay there until sunrise or the wintertime supplemental light comes on.

5. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    also check out QVC, I have a string of lights that I purchased from them, not solar, but runs on batteries/timers. works great to add a little bit of light on these long dark days

6. AmyPoole

AmyPoole New Egg

Apr 20, 2014
    Jeffersonville, In

Hi, my chicken was scared of the dark I found this waterproof solar light and it works wonderfully. Not too bright in the little chicken tractor I have...http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0090XR40C/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7. SunYeti

SunYeti New Egg

Dec 5, 2013
    If you want something that's close to the brightness of an old-style 60W incandescent bulb, you might want to check out Yeti Solar lighting kits. Our LightPassage is about half as bright as that (and is usually enough for small to medium sized coops); our LightPortal is about twice as bright as that. I wrote an article for BYC a while back about solar lighting for coops; you may want to check it out: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...arn-about-preventing-a-drop-in-egg-production

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by