Need Suggestions Please - Unscented Deodorant

Quote:
the crystals are made with alum.....which is aluminum.....back to the cancer thing again, rubbing the stuff next to your lymph nodes.

7. Do your products contain aluminium?

Crystal deodorants are made from a mineral salt generally termed alum, which does contain a naturally occuring aluminium salt. Alum is not the same as aluminium, and our products do not contain compounds such as aluminium chlorohydrate or aluminium zirconium compounds found in most anti-perspirants. These amazing mineral salts work effectively to prevent body odour by forming an invisible topical surface film which kills and prevents odour causing bacteria.

Understanding the Difference Between Alum and Aluminum

Technically speaking, aluminum is a metal, whereas alum is a compound. While many aluminum molecules can be absorbed into the skin, alum molecules are too large to be absorbed.

Crystal deodorants are made of natural mineral salts (alum).​

Last edited:
I read that Julia Roberts doesn't use deodorant. She uses alcohol instead. I also use alcohol and don't smell. (I wonder if too much of that is good for us, though.) It gets very hot and humid here in the south so I have used anti-bacterial soap, alcohol, and I think diluted vinegar might work.

I use a coconut shampoo, and the next time I use a diluted vinegar rinse to get rid of soap residue, which I then use to bath my pits. (Waste not, want not.) I am home most of the time and keep wipes in the car for the times I am out and it is extremely hot. I will use deodorant on special occasions but I prefer the above.

Thanks for the crystal salts info and the discussion about alum/aluminum. I didn't know all of this.

I always heard about using baking soda under arms but wasn't sure about the complete "recipe" for that.

Quote:
I didn't know about Julia Roberts using alcohol.

What kind of antibacterial soap is good? Would it be the same kind that is used to wash hands or is there a bar of soap that is antibacterial? I currently us Ivory soap because it is FREE of scents. Surely seems like antibacterial soap would be so much better.

I just use the Walmart antibacterial soap brand with a bathroom pump bottle. I am a very frugal person.

Many of us older gals use vinegar, baking soda, ammonia, bleach, etc. for regular household cleaning. After I use alcohol (on a tissue square) on my arm pits, I swipe the bathroom mirrors and faucets. I learned many years ago if shiny things are kept shiny, then the house looks cleaner. DH sprays his windshield with Windex and wipes with newspaper. I'm sure he could use alcohol or something similar instead of Windex.

We could start a whole new thread on the frugal uses of common things in the kitchen, but the sister SelfSufficient.com thread already does that. I haven't checked it out in a while but it is a great website.

I "doubt" Julia Roberts goes outside, mucks out stalls, gathers eggs, lugs 50 lb. feed bags around from her truck to the shed, cleans out the chicken poop to put on her garden for the winter...

Just saying!

Not saying that you don't, just some random thoughts that tend to pop into my head.

OP, embrace your smelliness!!!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
No WAY! I am so going to buy some spray deoderant today! They have been sneaking around in pantry and kitchen for months now and nothing works..not even a barrier line of DE! They even get inside my dishwasher! I am tearing my hair out!
Any particular brand?

Quote:
LOL @ SUPERPOWER
lau.gif
. I sometimes say that I have a bionic nose and we won't even talk about my bionic ears. I can hear like a dog as well.
gig.gif

I thought I had it bad but you are worst than me. I can tell what people at work go in and out of the kitchen at work without me being in the room. If someone goes to the kitchen at work an hour before me, I know who all went to lunch. I can tell if my brothers or sisters have dropped by my house (they all have keys) if I am not home. As soon as I open the door, I can smell who was there. I can smell if someone has a cold or sinus infection but I think most people may be able to do that. It's not a good thing to be able to smell so much. Some things you really really don't want to smell.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Quote:
No offense, dear one, but just because you are happy with that choice doesn't mean the people that are around you all day share in that happiness.

Just a thought.

I personally would be mortified if my B.O. offended the people around me, so I wear deodorant.

That rock/crystal antiperspirant is an excellent product. I have a friend who is a nurse practitioner & that's what she uses. Doesn't have B.O. (that I've noticed) and it's quite effective for her. She loves it. She says that although it's pricey, it lasts longer than 20 sticks of deodorant so in the end, she comes out a little bit ahead money-wise.

Back
Top Bottom