Need to build a coop/run. Looking for help

SummerLynn

Chirping
Apr 1, 2018
Central Pennsylvania
Hi all
So see my intro for specifics but I have 16 baby chicks growing up as we speak, and while they grow I need to get a home built for them.

I've been lookin at the pre-made ones on line and wondering if its easily and same price ish to just order something?

But whether i build or buy I need to learn some things first.

My hope: I want a coop where they'll be comfy and is easy to clean, and of course will lay some eggs. I intend to let em free to forage the majority of the time, but would like an attached run for times when i cant let them out, like when I'm gone on vacation this summer.

Teach me that ways?

All pre-made coops lie about capacity so beware of that. Chicks grow like weeds! Your best bet is to make a hoop coop using cattle panels, quick and easy to build.

Please add your location to your profile, answers differ depending on location.

JT

hrm ok i admire the simplicity of it.... but, will the chickens be happy? That sounds dumb even as I type it, but I'm wondering where they roost and lay their eggs in that? Are they not as particular as I am imagining?

You are in luck - someone just recently posted their hoop coop in articles:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ms-biddys-cattle-panel-hoop-coop.73755/

There are tons of other examples though. Browse through the coops here for more ideas:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/chicken-coops.12/

Typical suggested minimums are 4sqft per chicken in the coop (excluding nest boxes) and 10sqft per chicken in the run. If they will be cooped up in the run/coop due to weather or your schedule you will likely need much more than the minimums.

hrm ok i admire the simplicity of it.... but, will the chickens be happy? That sounds dumb even as I type it, but I'm wondering where they roost and lay their eggs in that? Are they not as particular as I am imagining?

Chickens need a draft free well ventilated place to roost that is higher up than the nest box, a safe place to lay eggs, room to get away from bullies, food/water and protection from predators. A hoop coop provides a very fast way to get a shelter up and set up everything needed.

JT

Back
Top Bottom