Need to build a coop/run. Looking for help

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SummerLynn, Apr 1, 2018.

1. SummerLynn

SummerLynn Chirping

Apr 1, 2018
    Central Pennsylvania
    Hi all
    So see my intro for specifics but I have 16 baby chicks growing up as we speak, and while they grow I need to get a home built for them.

I've been lookin at the pre-made ones on line and wondering if its easily and same price ish to just order something?

But whether i build or buy I need to learn some things first.

My hope: I want a coop where they'll be comfy and is easy to clean, and of course will lay some eggs. I intend to let em free to forage the majority of the time, but would like an attached run for times when i cant let them out, like when I'm gone on vacation this summer.

Teach me that ways?

2. jthornton

jthornton Crowing

Aug 30, 2017
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    My Coop
    All pre-made coops lie about capacity so beware of that. Chicks grow like weeds! Your best bet is to make a hoop coop using cattle panels, quick and easy to build.

Please add your location to your profile, answers differ depending on location.

JT

SummerLynn likes this.
  3. SummerLynn

SummerLynn Chirping

Apr 1, 2018
    Central Pennsylvania
    yes sir. done :)

jthornton likes this.
  4. SummerLynn

SummerLynn Chirping

Apr 1, 2018
    Central Pennsylvania
    whats a hoop coop?

5. jthornton

jthornton Crowing

Aug 30, 2017
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    My Coop
    After searching for a while I finally found a sane example of a simple cattle panel (hoop) coop. Only use zip ties for temporary connections, use twisted wire or metal ties for connections. That example may lack some structure needed in the northern states to support the snow load.

JT

jreardon1918 likes this.
  6. SummerLynn

SummerLynn Chirping

Apr 1, 2018
    Central Pennsylvania
    hrm ok i admire the simplicity of it.... but, will the chickens be happy? That sounds dumb even as I type it, but I'm wondering where they roost and lay their eggs in that? Are they not as particular as I am imagining?

7. X_and_Z

X_and_Z Chirping

Feb 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    My Coop
    You are in luck - someone just recently posted their hoop coop in articles:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ms-biddys-cattle-panel-hoop-coop.73755/

There are tons of other examples though. Browse through the coops here for more ideas:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/chicken-coops.12/

Typical suggested minimums are 4sqft per chicken in the coop (excluding nest boxes) and 10sqft per chicken in the run. If they will be cooped up in the run/coop due to weather or your schedule you will likely need much more than the minimums.

SummerLynn likes this.
  8. jthornton

jthornton Crowing

Aug 30, 2017
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    My Coop
    Chickens need a draft free well ventilated place to roost that is higher up than the nest box, a safe place to lay eggs, room to get away from bullies, food/water and protection from predators. A hoop coop provides a very fast way to get a shelter up and set up everything needed.

JT

SummerLynn likes this.
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That's a pretty nice one...but...with a some digging I discover that it's in California.
    Central Pennsylvania is a way different climate.

For 16 birds I wouldn't go smaller than a 100sqft for the coop in winter...
    ...unless you've got a large and weather proof run(solid roof and wind/snow blocked walls).

jthornton and SummerLynn like this.
  10. SummerLynn

SummerLynn Chirping

Apr 1, 2018
    Central Pennsylvania
    I think I can do this.....its going to be one heck of a learning curve but i'll figure it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: