1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need to build quality but cheap coop.ideas?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Vamp-A-Billy Princess, May 30, 2008.

1. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I posted on freecycle. Posting on Craigs list tomorrow. I have some scrap 2x2 and 2x4 but need walls. Any ideas?

2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

I stripped the siding off an old collapsed building near me.

[​IMG]

3. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I have a couple collapsed barns on the property. Good idea. My hubby had an idea of making 2 pens on the porch. My coop was my playhouse when I was little.

4. k0xxx

k0xxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    North Central Arkansas
    You might look around for wooden pallets. You can usually find them for free and I have seen where they have been disassembled and used for siding on coops.

5. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

It is cedar siding (I hear the alarm bells going off) that is well aged and had no odor of cedar about it anymore. It was dry and brittle and covered with algae and lichen and a little bit of old paint. We did some sanding to make it look a bit better. We probably only were able half of what we salvaged but it only cost us our time and some sandpaper. I'm thinking about insulating the walls or at the very least whitewashing the interior or maybe putting up and interior wall. There is still some beadboard in the old house.

If you have corrugated "tin" roofing you could use that also but it gets a little hot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by