Need to buy more feed - Raiser or Layer? no eggs, but on the cusp?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by FinsUp, Jun 18, 2010.

1. FinsUp

FinsUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    lake oswego flats
    I need to get more today, but it took 5 weeks for the last 50 lbs. The girls were about 3 months when we got them, 5 weeks later - no eggs, but are we close? I know they shouldn't get the extra calcium if they aren't laying, but ... I may be able to get 25 lbs of raiser, but it is almost as much as the 50 of layer. They should have enough crumbles for 2 days. I was also reading about crumbles vs. pellets - think I will go pellet route.

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    With pellets there is less waste with my birds. I would go the Raiser route, just to be safe. You can supplement with oyster shell on the side if they start laying before you use all the raiser. I personally like the Raiser better. It has higher protein, which my girls need, and it makes their feathers much shinier.
  3. farmerKEN

farmerKEN Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2009
    Western Mass
    I would do raiser and oyster shell, especially if the raiser has a little more protein.
  4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I keep mine on starter/grower until they are between 16-18 wks. of age then switch over to laying not give layer until at least that old unless you want to cause harm to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by