Need to cull 2 chickens, myself. Easiest and quickest?

nuttyredhead

Songster
10 Years
May 3, 2010
Southern NH
I need to know the easiest way, the quickest less messy. Humane if that is possible. I dont want whatever they have to spread to the rest of the flock.....

There may already have been exposure, anyway. Often the contagious diseases make some much sicker than others. What do they have?

There are lots of ways to do it. Whatever you are comfortable with. I'd probably use long handled pruning shears; I've read several times of using them and have not read of any slip-ups with them. For small chicks, a pair of scissors is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
sharp hatchet works for us. just have a bucket handy to put the chicken into to keep it from flapping all over and to keep the blood from going everywhere. sorry your having to do this.
hugs.gif

Quote:
One has been sneezing for a few weeks, didnt think much of it cause she was fine other than that. Now her eye is bubbly. And my roo started sneezing a few days ago. I have them seperated. I do have 2 week old chicks in the coop too. (seperate food and water). I just dont think i want to take the risk of putting them back in, especially with the bubbly eye....

If you want quick and less mess, the broomstick method sounds good though I've never tried it. I always use the quick neck dislocation of wringing if I won't be processing. Don't go in circles...just a few quick up and down motions is best~hard and vigorous jerks. The bird will flop just like any other method but it is quick and effective.

I used to wring in a circular motion and found it to be not so effective for some birds.

Do you have a killing cone? My sister and I process LOTS of cornishX for my mom. Best method, fastest least painful for the chicken is a killing cone and a sharp, very sharp knife. That's just what we do.
Sorry your chickens are sick.

Back
Top Bottom