Need to cull , please help

pefferlawchicken

Songster
10 Years
Feb 22, 2009
ontario, canada
I have a year old hen that has been acting strange for awhile , she has been pecking herslef for weeks and all sorts, she wont pick up her left wing now , she falls so much i think its broken , its time for her to go.
I have had her since a chick and it will be hard to take and axe or anything to her , is there any other way ? co2 ? suffication anything that will get the job done without me seeing her , i couldnt live with watching her die....

thanks.

get a 5 gal bucket with a lid

cut a hole in the lid that a garden hose will fit in

attach the other end to a funnel

turn on your car...put the funnel against the tail pipe, the hose in the bucket, the bird in the bucket...takes very little time

It all depends if you want to make it easier on you or the hen. If you want to make it easier on you do the bucket attached to the car type thing, but if you want to make it easier on the hen (most humane thing to do) take an axe to her
hit.gif
. i know this is hard to do, but it will make the hen's death easier for her. Sorry
hugs.gif
I hope you make the right decision even though it is a hard one.
fl.gif

are u sure u must cull her?? after all she is very young..... maybe try separating her, give her a brocoli head and some vitamins and keep her warm and quiet for a few days than rethink the matter later.... killing should only be a very last resort..... iv taken alot of my chickens to the vet for problems but if this is not an option for u then try what i said. she could be bored thats why she feather pics so the brocoli head should give her something to do.... also sunflower seeds work. She could have cocci from that wing so i just buy a mix that u put in their water to fix it..... good luck and best wishes for her
smile.png
hope she gets better, think of those eggs she will give u later.....

No matter how hard it is, if you cared for her at all, DO IT QUICKLY!!!! suffering with suffocation is not the way to go! I am sorry! I have a soft heart and it hurts me even when I have to cull a sick suffering chick. BUT quick is the only humane way to go!! Suck it up and chop!!! Sorry to be so blunt! but I just hate to think of any animal suffering and gasping for air. Slow painful suffocation!!!!

Good Luck and God Bless!

Do you have access to a .22? A quick shot to the head is very humane, but you need to be a good shot for that to work well. If that is not an option I agree with the others. Use the ax, if you cover her head she should stay fairly still and you won't have to look at her. Go over to the meat bird forum and take a look at some of the threads there, you'll find very complete instructions. What is best for them is often hardest on us.
hugs.gif

Just noticed your from Canada so the .22 is probably out.

Last edited:
um...it is quick. And is very humane. If you will look it up it is actually an approved means of putting an animal down. It is not suffocation...it is poisoning and when a say it takes very little time...seconds...

ax---what if you miss and don't go all the way through because you are crying or upset or just don't have the aim or strength?

Back
Top Bottom