Need to cull three cockerels

Kittchicks

Hatching
Jul 9, 2016
I have three 9-week old Icelandic cockerels that I need to find a home for...or a stewpot. Any advice on finding someone to take and butcher them?

I have no idea why your first response to cockerels would be to kill them off, but since your standards are so low it shouldn't be to hard. People--me included often struggle to find good homes for roosters that unfortunately turned out to be male instead of the preferred pullet, but since you have no care towards their future well being, kijiji or a local bird auction may be your best bet.

To the MauveDuck:
Many people cannot keep roosters. Finding a safe home for them can be nearly impossible. Each of us does this hobby their own way with what will work in their set up, and often times that means culling roosters. Please do not be judgmental about another's set up.

To the Original Poster:
Advertise on Craigslist, don't ask questions.

Mrs K

Last edited:
Facebook poultry association groups are very good to get rid of cockerels. Also, as mentioned above, Craigslist would be good but you have to remember people might be taking them to slaughter them.

I have no idea why your first response to cockerels would be to kill them off, but since your standards are so low it shouldn't be to hard. People--me included often struggle to find good homes for roosters that unfortunately turned out to be male instead of the preferred pullet, but since you have no care towards their future well being, kijiji or a local bird auction may be your best bet.
That was just rude and uncalled for.
You have no right to degrade a fellow chicken keeper simply because his/her beliefs are different than yours!

OP, since they are Icelandic/Viking boys, you may have a chance at finding them a good home for someone that breeds. I agree with Mrs. K regarding Craigslist, no questions asked.
Or, you can keep them in a bachelor pad, fatten them up on meat bird feed for 4 more weeks and harvest them for your own family.
I have no problem raising birds for meat-- just put the last batch of meaties in the deep freezer this morning.

That was just rude and uncalled for.
You have no right to degrade a fellow chicken keeper simply because his/her beliefs are different than yours!

OP, since they are Icelandic/Viking boys, you may have a chance at finding them a good home for someone that breeds. I agree with Mrs. K regarding Craigslist, no questions asked.
Or, you can keep them in a bachelor pad, fatten them up on meat bird feed for 4 more weeks and harvest them for your own family.
I have no problem raising birds for meat-- just put the last batch of meaties in the deep freezer this morning.

I agree!
Rude

Local chicken forums on facebook. You might find someone else locally that is interested in the breed. I'm leery of craigslist, at least with facebook, you know who your are dealing with if they belong to the group. We have local swaps once a month as well. Perhaps that is something you could look into also? Local feed store might know where they are held.

I have three 9-week old Icelandic cockerels that I need to find a home for...or a stewpot. Any advice on finding someone to take and butcher them?

I would ask your local feedstore for any connections, as well as the Chickenstock forum. Do you know of any hunters or processors locally that could help you? Or check in with your local county extension office? I'm not sure if you are interested in harvesting them for your freezer, or if you want someone else to take them. I'm not a fan of Craigslist after a run in with a questionable individual.

That's harsh. There are as many different ways to manage a flock are there are members on this site. As long as the bird(s) are treated humanely, nothing is wrong with any of them. If you want to keep every cockerel until you find a permanent home, that's fine. Just don't expect everyone to follow suit. It isn't something many can afford to do, not to mention legally allowed to do. Fact is there are far more males hatched every year than there are potential homes. Something has to do be done with the surplus. Culling extra males for the freezer is a perfectly acceptable solution. You may not agree, but you should not criticize another's method of humane flock management. There are many on this site whom I disagree with, but I would never consider criticizing the way they manage their chickens.

Are you looking for someone to just take them away even if it means they'll be eaten, or take and butcher them for you? If you're looking for someone to just take them away, you have received good advice - advertise them and don't ask questions. If you want them in your freezer, you might want to look over at the Meat Birds section for some helpful information on processing yourself. As others have said, there are many ways of managing your flock. As long as they're treated humanely, do what you need to do.

Back
Top Bottom