Need to humanely euthanize a sick chicken NOW

Thanks Bantam21. My neighbors son has a high powered airsoft gun with hollow point lead pellets. They came up and helped me with my girl. It was hard to hold her head down while he held the gun up against her and it took two pellets but then she was gone. I appreciate the recommendation. I glad I went that method than what I had originally planned. She's at peace now. Thanks again.
I'm glad I could help.
smile.png
I'm so sorry about your hen.

Yeah. This has been a hard day. A lot of crying. But I invest mentally. These girls are my babies. I just can't see them suffer. They've given me so much pleasure. I owe it to them to give them the same respect. After a few days and some time with my other girls my sadness will turn to knowing I did the right thing.

I'm so sorry!
I just wanted to say that I think you're very brave and applaud you for acting quickly to put her down when you knew it was for the best even though it's the hardest thing to do. You're in my prayers!

Well on Saturday I had to put a second chicken down and today when I got home from work two had not come out of the coop all day. One died in my hands. The other one was showing the same signs so I put her down as well. So that's four chickens since Saturday. I don't know what's going on. I'm going to call the state vet tomorrow and see about sending the next one in for necropsy. Don't know what else to do. I'm down to four chickens.

So, so sorry. We have chickens about the same age as yours, and the whole family is attached. Can't imagine going through what you're going through. I hope the necropsy shows something.

I've gotten a preliminary report back that showed Gallibactirium (the only web site that was remotely helpful was Wikipedia). It's a non-contagious bacteria that they can apparently get under stressful situations (which nothing around my backyard has changed-so I'm completely stumped) and the bacteria goes to the reproductive system. So she had peritonitis and salpgingitis (oviduct infection). I'm waiting on 9 other tests to come back. I know it's common for their reproductive system to go south often but I lost 5 chickens in as many days so that leads me to believe there's something else going on with this flock. I have three birds left and if they show signs of illness I will take them to the lab as well for verification of whatever has made them sick. I'm so sad that this has killed almost all my birds. Hopefully the other tests will show show something further because I can't imagine that the above diagnosis is what killed them all so fast. JMO.
1f62a.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom