need to ID clearance chicks for breed and gender

nanclapper

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
North Idaho
I bought some clearance chicks and need help identifying the breed and gender. The first image is one of two black chicks, I think are BA, I'm new to raising chickens so I'm not sure. Not sure of their age, perhaps 6 weeks or so, I have had them 4 weeks and I think they both may be roosters. Second image is the other black one and a white one I think is a rooster also, not sure of that or the breed, maybe a Leghorn? Third image is another picture of the white one. I also bought two yellow sex-link pullets, but I think one is a roo. The fourth image is of the YSL chicks which are 4 weeks old. The one on the right looks more like images I've seen of RSL pullets and the lighter one on the left looks like RSL roo.... The last image is of the light YSL only.

95098_06072011_ba_clearance_chick.jpg

95098_06072011_white_and_ba_clearance_chick_b.jpg

95098_06072011_white_clearance_chick_c.jpg

95098_06072011_yellow_sex_link_chicks.jpg

95098_06072011_yellow_sex_link_chick_c.jpg

Yeah, the black and white ones look like roos. And is it me, or does the black one look a little frizzled...? Esp in the second pic.

You have a nice variety of colors! Where did you get them?

Cute babies!

The red and white one is a female gold/red sex-link. The buff colored one is a male gold/red sex link. The black one with no comb looks like a female black sex link, and the black one with the comb might be an australorp (not sure on gender, but suspect roo).

The white one is either a CA white, or a leghorn. White birds are very difficult to sex early on, so I can't even begin a guess.

Hope that helps at least a bit!

the first and second image are of two diff black ones, and they were a bit frazzled because I took them out of the cage to take pictures. They were fine after they calmed, but weren't very happy at first. I ordered 10 chicks (5 RIR, 3 BO and 2 YSL, (supposed to be all pullets) from Cenex in Coeur d'alene, ID and picked up 4 clearance chicks from D&B also in CDA a few days later.

so black sex link have black legs and feet? both my black ones have black legs and feet. I don't know if they are the same age, but one is definately smaller than the other and more passive

Yes, they can have black legs, some do and some dont because they are hybrids/mixed. So can Jersey Giants and Australorps. I'm unfortunately not an expert on Jersey Giants, so it's a possiblity thats the variety of your bigger bird and I just mistook it for an Australorp. Luckily there's lots of experts on all sorts of varieties here. Someone's sure to post!

thanks so much for the replies...I am enjoying my little chicks. One of my clearance chicks turned out to be a light Brahma, she is so beautiful

Back
Top Bottom