Need to know breed and sex of 8-week-old chicken ...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jessgold, May 16, 2017.

1. jessgold

jessgold Just Hatched

Apr 16, 2017
    We bought what we thought was a few-days-old Welsummer in mid-March. Definitely looked like a Welsummer chick back then. Now, at 8 weeks or so, we're wondering if we really did get a Welsummer. Here are a few photos. Note the diverse coloring of the wing (which s/he is spreading out in the second photo) and black neck feathers (but no distinct black chest feathers yet). We're also not sure if we have a pullet or cockerel. The comb and wattles haven't grown much over the past two weeks. So we need help figuring out the breed and sex! Thanks!!!

Chickens 5-11-17 - 4.jpg Chickens 5-11-17 - 5.jpg Chickens 5-11-17 - 6.jpg

2. Landon1117

Landon1117 Just Hatched

Apr 16, 2017
    Seems to me to be a Welsummer cockerel, just looking at the tail feather development (some feathers seem to be curving, just like that of a young rooster). Also, you noted the fast growth of his comb and wattle, which happens around this time in a cockerel. Did you get the chick at a local breeder or a more well-known business, because the larger businesses tend to make less breed errors and more sexing errors (from my experience). I could be wrong about the breed, but almost positive it's a cockerel.

3. jessgold

jessgold Just Hatched

Apr 16, 2017
    We purchased the chick (Welsummer straight run) at a local farm supply store. We wanted a pullet for the dark brown eggs and decided to take our chances (50/50). But we can't keep roosters in our back yard, so he'll need a new home (assuming he's definitely male) ...

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Not a welsummer, definitely a cockerel. Was this bought at a retail store, private person or? When you say it looked like a welsummer are you referring to the down pattern? The pattern of welsummer chocks is also common to many other breeds and crosses

5. Landon1117

Landon1117 Just Hatched

Apr 16, 2017
    upload_2017-5-16_19-10-50.png
    Here's a picture of a young Welsummer cockerel I found, if it helps any.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by