need to know what I am doing

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chasing ducks, Jul 26, 2010.

1. chasing ducks

chasing ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Ok, I have 8 cortunix quail that hatched out on Friday. It wasn't until after they hatched that I realised I am a duck person, I know nothing about quail. Should have thought of that earlier, sigh. Anyway, I think I have the baby stage down ok, their in a big rubbermaid bin with a quart waterer that has stones in it so they can't drown and their getting non-medicated 22% protein chick starter (thats the highest protein I could find in crumble form). What will they need when they get older? I have a brooder that I used for my ducks, it's 4'x4' and on legs up off the ground. It has 1/4" wire floor and 2 sides done in the same wire. The other 2 sides are wood and it has a hinged wooden roof. Would this work for when they are bigger or should I build something different? Also, do they need anything special? What do they need to nest in?

2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    I'm not sure what they nest in, i dont own quail, but a friend of mine feeds her full grown quail regular old layer pellets (liked you would feed the chickens)

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Congrats on the babies! I am a duck person too, but I love our quail dearly.

One thing that is vastly different with the quail is their protein needs. They need a VERY high protein feed. We use game bird starter (look for turkey starter or game bird starter at most feed stores) with 30% protein. When we ran out with one batch and fed them chick starter at 20% for two days, by the second day they were picking out each other's feathers trying to get more protein in their bodies. Bought more game bird starter, and they were back to normal within 24 hours. So I would recommend calling around to see what you can find in terms of game bird feed at 28-30%.

Your brooder will work fine for them as adults. They don't need much. Feed (game bird layer/breeder is a good choice), water. You can add sandboxes for their entertainment, and I throw in handfuls of weeds daily for them to pick through. That's pretty much it.

Good luck!

4. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    I feed my jumbo quail babies 1/2 turkey grower and 1/2 chick starter grinded to almost powder. Do you still grind down the crumbles when they're mature? I'm feeding the mature ones 1/2 hen layer and 1/2 turkey grower...should I do anything different? I'm new at this too so I hope the answers help the op. btw I can't get gamebird feed here.

5. secretquail

secretquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    I feed my adults Layer crumbles. I was using the flight mx pellets and grinding them, buy what a PIA! I add in some oyster shell and sometimes, when I feel dilligent, I will chop up the shells after I hard boil the eggs and give them that. Everyone has stayed healthy for about 9 months.

6. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    [​IMG] on the babies!

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Feed Them Gamebird Starter, Medicated Or Not Doesnt Matter (personal Preference And Availability) Any Decent Feed Store Will Have Or Can Get Gamebird Starter For You. Go To The Purina Mills Web Site And Use Their Dealer Locator Option If You Like. They Are Gamebirds- Not Turkeys, Not Waterfowl, Not Chickens..... Theres A Lot More Than Just Protien To It. There's Fiber And Other Essential Ingredients As Well. If Nothing Else Turkey Starter Will Be Closer Than Any Other Feed.

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The only problem I can see with your brooder is the hinged roof. When quail get spooked, they fly up. I imagine that you'd have something similar to a 'releasing of the doves' when you opened the top of that cage!

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:DANG IT SHELLEY WHY YOU ALWAYS WANNA TAKE ALL THE FUN OUT OF EVERYTHING...... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by