Need to know what you do with Eggs before setting them

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LoveMyBirds, Mar 11, 2009.

1. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    How do you store your eggs before setting them. I may have messed up.

I was just putting my eggs in my refigerator keeping them cool, but I was talking to my very old mom the other night, and she stated be sure to not put them in the refrig...

I could be wrong, but I do not believe that this will harm the egg ..

So what do the experts say to this and do with the egg storage..

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Refridgeration usually kills the fertilization, although refridgerated eggs have been known to hatch.

They need to be stored in an egg carton, large end up, at room temperature. I believe 55 to 72 degrees is the recommendation, but I could be wrong.

3. Poulets De Cajun

Just out of curiosity, why would you put them in the fridge if you plan to hatch them?

4. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    i say 60-70 is okay. and yes we store ours in an egg carton in the kitchen. idk about washing them though, we've only ever put in the cleanest ones. [​IMG]

5. Poulets De Cajun

IF you clean them, only brush them off with a paper towel do not wet them. By wetting them you take the chance of forcing bacteria into the shell.

6. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    Quote:i agree 100% with you, although i hear than anything under 55 will decrease hatch rate by a mile. but it's very unlikely that anyone's house gets THAT cold! even herein Alaska, we keep our house at like 60, which is just fine for eggs. like cajun said, pointy end down in a carton at room temp. they can keep for up to a week like this, but after that hatch rate decreases.

7. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    well if they are in the bator already might as well see if they work out. what is done it done but next time no refer!!!!counter or some place ool but not COLD and not to hot! pointy down and turn 3 times a day while on the counter (at least that is what I have heard-I dont do that)

shipping to alaska can get pretty cold but I still have had great success with shipped eggs even in negative 30 temps! so you might get lucky!!!

good luck!!!

8. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Ok,, thanks for the info..

I may be out of luck with my hatches on this round then..

I should know by this Friday for sure with my first hen then next week my 2nd hen and soon followed by the 3rd..

I haven't done this since back around 1977..

Since it's cold at nights I figure that it might take a few days longer than 21 for mine.. So tomorrow is 21 days and I'm allowing to Friday in case..

Sigh..

9. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    did you candle yet? go ahead if you didnt you might be suprised! I have heard stories of people incubating store bought organic free range eggs... and having sucess...

10. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    I have 9 out of 12 Trader Joe's eggs developing. They were refrigerated. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by