Need to know what you do with Eggs before setting them

LoveMyBirds

Songster
11 Years
Aug 10, 2008
How do you store your eggs before setting them. I may have messed up.

I was just putting my eggs in my refigerator keeping them cool, but I was talking to my very old mom the other night, and she stated be sure to not put them in the refrig...

I could be wrong, but I do not believe that this will harm the egg ..

So what do the experts say to this and do with the egg storage..

Thanks
wink.png

Refridgeration usually kills the fertilization, although refridgerated eggs have been known to hatch.

They need to be stored in an egg carton, large end up, at room temperature. I believe 55 to 72 degrees is the recommendation, but I could be wrong.

Quote:
i agree 100% with you, although i hear than anything under 55 will decrease hatch rate by a mile. but it's very unlikely that anyone's house gets THAT cold! even herein Alaska, we keep our house at like 60, which is just fine for eggs. like cajun said, pointy end down in a carton at room temp. they can keep for up to a week like this, but after that hatch rate decreases.

well if they are in the bator already might as well see if they work out. what is done it done but next time no refer!!!!counter or some place ool but not COLD and not to hot! pointy down and turn 3 times a day while on the counter (at least that is what I have heard-I dont do that)

shipping to alaska can get pretty cold but I still have had great success with shipped eggs even in negative 30 temps! so you might get lucky!!!

good luck!!!

Ok,, thanks for the info..

I may be out of luck with my hatches on this round then..

I should know by this Friday for sure with my first hen then next week my 2nd hen and soon followed by the 3rd..

I haven't done this since back around 1977..

Since it's cold at nights I figure that it might take a few days longer than 21 for mine.. So tomorrow is 21 days and I'm allowing to Friday in case..

Sigh..

Back
Top Bottom