Need to move eggs day before lockdown--tips?

MaryZoe

Songster
6 Years
Jun 26, 2016
Naples, FL
Hello, I'm a teacher who set eggs in my classroom in Naples, Florida on the Tuesday before Irma hit on Saturday afternoon. I took the eggs home with me on Wednesday (school was cancelled Thursday and Friday), and I've had them incubating here since then. Our generator allowed me to keep them heated even when we lost power for 10 days.

Now that school is starting again on Monday, I would love to bring the eggs in just in time to put them in lockdown (Monday will be 3 days 'til hatching). My concern is in moving the eggs at this point. Has anyone ever successfully moved eggs across town on lockdown day?

I would love the kids to see the hatch, at least, but I would not want to do so if I thought it might damage the chicks.

Thoughts? Thanks!

I don't think the movement of the eggs will be so much of a problem, if carefully done, hens move and jostle eggs even during lock down period.

However, I do see a concern with not reducing the heat. If you can move them without losing temp and humidity, they should be fine.

LofMc

I don't think the movement of the eggs will be so much of a problem, if carefully done, hens move and jostle eggs even during lock down period.

However, I do see a concern with not reducing the heat. If you can move them without losing temp and humidity, they should be fine.

LofMc
Well, I'll have to remove them from the bator to transport them safely. I can wrap their cartons in towels to insulate them and then put them in a cooler I try to heat somehow, I suppose. But I'm not sure how I could entirely avoid the temperature and humidity fluctuation for the 30 minutes it will probably take to get them from my house back into the incubator (that will also have to reheat) at school.

My hope is that since none should have pipped by then, a short fluctuation should be okay. I am keeping some eggs here at home, so if any have pipped early they will certainly stay put.

I think if you can insulate them well, they will be OK. They're not going to cool down immediately, as the inside of the egg is fairly dense with the chick in it. Just wrap them up and get them back in the incubator as soon as you can.

Hello, I'm a teacher who set eggs in my classroom in Naples, Florida on the Tuesday before Irma hit on Saturday afternoon. I took the eggs home with me on Wednesday (school was cancelled Thursday and Friday), and I've had them incubating here since then. Our generator allowed me to keep them heated even when we lost power for 10 days.

Now that school is starting again on Monday, I would love to bring the eggs in just in time to put them in lockdown (Monday will be 3 days 'til hatching). My concern is in moving the eggs at this point. Has anyone ever successfully moved eggs across town on lockdown day?

I would love the kids to see the hatch, at least, but I would not want to do so if I thought it might damage the chicks.

Thoughts? Thanks!
How long of a drive is it from your home to the school?

How long of a drive is it from your home to the school?
It's only about 15 mins driving time, but all the other tasks will leave them out of the incubator for an additional 15 minutes at least. Then the incubator itself will have to warm up again. I'll just be as speedy as possible and hope for the best. The students know that the eggs were not incubated under ideal circumstances, considering the storm and all! I'll have everything prepped as much as possible, so I can arrive, plug the native in, and assemble ever quickly. Here's hoping!

Just a thought.... Would it help to keep the temp up by putting some hand warmers ( if you have them) inside the incubator? Or a water bottles with hot water in them?
Living in Florida, I've never kept hand warmer around (haha), but I like the idea of filling water bottles with hot water to keep the eggs warm as I transport them.

But I agree with TJP-- I think they should not be affected much as long as I am careful and quick about the move.

I'll keep you posted!

Back
Top Bottom