Need to relocate a turkey hen and her nest

Glima2all

Hatching
Jun 23, 2016
I have a bronze hen that has chosen a high shelf in the goat shed to nest . She and her other turkey mates usually stay on the coop with the chickens. I need to move her and her nest to the chicken coop, can this be done and still get her to hatch these eggs?

You can try but turkeys are fickle. She has chosen that spot because of the privacy away from the other birds. My guess is that if you move them she probably won't sit. You can try and watch, but turkeys usually like a very private area for brooding. Worst case you can incubate them.

Ok
Thanks so much
I think we are going to leave her and then just take chicks to brooder as soon as they hatch

@Gorman Farm
So tonight she left the nest, it is very cold here tonight(n.w. Ohio), she was over in the chicken coop, so I went and got the eggs and showed them to her and put them in the nesting box I built for her. I am hoping somebody will sit on them, lol.
If she doesn't and maybe she goes back to goat shed tomorrow to lay another maybe I put them back over there ?
I was reading that as long as the eggs don't freeze they would still be viable?
I sure hope so!

@Gorman Farm
So tonight she left the nest, it is very cold here tonight(n.w. Ohio), she was over in the chicken coop, so I went and got the eggs and showed them to her and put them in the nesting box I built for her. I am hoping somebody will sit on them, lol.
If she doesn't and maybe she goes back to goat shed tomorrow to lay another maybe I put them back over there ?
I was reading that as long as the eggs don't freeze they would still be viable?
I sure hope so!
No...once incubation starts the eggs needs to be kept warm and at a steady temp to hatch.
What they mean about viable is that before she begins to sit and incubate they can get chilled, but once the 28 day count down begins they have to be kept warm.
If she was already sitting on them she isn't going to lay more, they lay the clutch and then after they are laid they sit, only getting off the eggs once a day to eat, drink and poop.

Back
Top Bottom