need to vent

domromer

Songster
12 Years
May 11, 2007
Flagstaff,AZ
The day form hell.

Saw a amazing kayak on craigs list. It was an incredible deal. I called the guy and he still had it. So I drove 80 miles to go get it. The weather was crappy and rainy the entire way. I get to the guys house and it was the wrong kayak. He copied the wrong description off the companies website. I just drove an hour and a half to get there. My head was about to explode!. We stopped at A&W and had some food and then got back on the road. We had to cross some mountains to get home and it started snowing. The snow became heavy and my truck was having a hard time getting through. It's a 2 wheel drive pickup with nothing in the bed. Eventually the traffic stops on a big hill cars are slipping and can't make it up the hill. I start to take off and I can't stop slipping. My truck starts sliding off the road. My wife jumps out and gets into the bed of the pickup. The extra weight will help the wheels to get some traction. We just manage to slither to the top of the hill and there is a diner so I pull in. There is a firemen directing traffic and he says the road ahead is worse. Cars are in ditches all over the place and a truck is on it's side. I decided we better go in the diner and wait for the plows to come. 5 minutes later a family comes in and said they closed the highway in both directions. So we end up at the diner drinking coffee for 4 hours waiting for the plows. In the meantime the snow is getting heavier and it will be dark soon. Once night falls the snow will freeze and we'd really be screwed. I see people driving and it's going to be dark soon so we decide that either we go now or we'll be stuck sleeping in the diner overnight. The problem is we still have no weight in the truck bed and there is no way we could get over the pass. So I start scouting around for heavy stuff to put in the bed, rocks, bales of hay anything to get some traction. Being that we are in redneck Oregon the yard next door is filled with broken down cars and old appliances. I asked the guy who owned the diner and he said I could take what ever junk I needed. I ended up throwing an old refrigerator in the bed of the truck. With this extra weight we crawled up the pass and made the 30 miles home in 2 hours.

I think that qualifies as a bad day!

"I think that qualifies as a bad day!"

Oh man! In a BIG way. If it does not...it's a closeup to one! I am sorry to hear of your ordeal.
sad.png

I have a two wheel pick-up and can't tell you how many times I've been stranded on the dirt road out there. :mad:

Just be glad you both got HOME ok and in one piece. Whew!
th.gif

I'd be willing to bet a stiff drink or a nice hot cup of hot chocolate would do the trick!
big_smile.png

Peace-

Pedro
cool.png

Quote:
At least you made it home in one piece, and you got a spare frig to sell as scrap metal, and you got to spend some Quality time with the Wife. The glass is only half empty if you look at it that way. Yes it could have been better, but at least it wasnt worse.
th.gif

The kicker is that I borrowed that truck from work. Sitting at home in my drive way is a Subaru Forester with all wheel drive, snotires, and chains!!!

Quote:
At least you made it home in one piece, and you got a spare frig to sell as scrap metal, and you got to spend some Quality time with the Wife. The glass is only half empty if you look at it that way. Yes it could have been better, but at least it wasnt worse.
th.gif

In a way it was kind of fun. Other than the stress of possibly wrecking my work truck , it was like an adventure. The scene in the dinner was nice to when the power went out it was a bunch of strangers laughing and talking.

I wish it would have got the right kayak though!

I read it as a Great Adventure!!!......Sorry it was the wrong kayak tho....Yup, the glass was half full!!!

Its a pity it wasn't a romantic little hotel in place of the diner - that would have had a better ending! (but you might not have told us
wink.png
)

Glad you got home all in one piece!

Glad you made it home! What part of Oregon? I am going to be headed to San Diego next month and will be driving through "that" pass.

I looked at your great pics. Now I am headed off to make myself a fried egg sandwich because of you! LOL

Back
Top Bottom