Need to vent...

Quote:
Mine have feed and water available all the time as well, just not always much in the feeder if there is a lot on the ground. That doesn't mean they run out. I also use pellets and find they go through a lot less, especially when I make them clean up their mess. The feeders we use don't allow scratching and are raised off the ground. They get a kick out of throwing it out with their beaks so they can eat the feed on the bottom, however
barnie.gif

I like the pellets much better. Of course, we switched to them straight from chick starter, but they always acting like they were starving to death on the chick starter and we went through a crazy amount of it. With the pellets they no longer act like idiots at the feeder and instead of having to fill it FULL everyday, I COULD leave them up to 3 days and they would not run out of feed if I filled them full. I usually top them off to about 2/3 full daily, now ... unless they have a huge mess to clean up
big_smile.png

I read a lot about food wastage and DIY feeders to try and minimize it. I went for the PVC pipe feeder because I'm basically cheap and already had most of the pipes needed.

I have to say though that I really like it and there is very little food that is wasted. They get mash that is milled locally. The feeder holds enough for about a week. Its not pretty but feeds 22 birds comfortably with little bickering as they have 24/7 access to feed....urhmm and water too.

DH cut the holes with a 2" hole saw bit used for cutting holes in doors to fit door knob installations. He didn't understand what I wanted and was doing it under duress...so not very even. Then next one he makes for our second coop next year should be prettier.
9897_dscf1183.jpg

This top piece just unscrews to add fresh feed....eazy peazy lemon squeazy
9897_dscf1182.jpg

The part I like the best is its out of the way and can't get knocked over.
clap.gif

OOOOO!! I want that ... I must build me one in the new coop! It would be awesome with a bin on top big enough to hold a bag of feed or two ... feeding and storage in one!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks but I can't take the credit since I got the design off this site. Try searching DIY feeders or feeders and waterers.

I personally like having to fill it every week or so as this way I know that the feed going into the feeder is still good and hasn't molded or something which I'd worry about with a large hopper. I just use a large scoop for horse oats to fill it but a scoop could easily be made from a clean Javex bottle or 2 litre pop bottle.

We are going through 2 bags of layer a week, lol ... a 2 bag hopper wouldn't have time to grow mold around here
smile.png

Oh!
ep.gif
th.gif
gig.gif
Where is that blushing smiley?

Is your DH handy? Perhaps he could rig sumpin up for ya.

Returning thread to original topic now. Sorry!!

Last edited:
No DH
sad.png
... but I'll bet I can do it. If not, I'll recruit my Dad, you don't get much handier, he can do anything he sets his mind to .

Okay ... we'll quit hijacking now
big_smile.png

Quote:
My goodness! I think I have the same brussel sprouts childhood trauma as you!
smile.png

lol.png

Ah yes, all alone at the table, shoving cold bitter brussel sprouts around your plate with a fork. Trying desperately to lob one into a napkin so Mom will think you ate it.

i was so surprised when decades later i tasted fresh sauteed brussel sprouts. Nothing at all like the ones Mom made back in the 1960s. i can't remember if they were canned or frozen. i just remember they were AWFUL!
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom