Need to vent...

They are 50 pound bags of Co-op layer pellets.

Yes, it is a lot of feed, but they are not getting fat and I was always taught that unless they are getting fat chickens should be free fed. I wonder if the feed is lower quality than it should be and so they need to eat more, especially in the cold. Or if the quality of the feed has changed and that is why there was a recent, sudden increase in feed consumption. We did add a few more chickens about that time, but 10 chickens and 2 turkeys shouldn't double the feed consumption when added to 70+ chickens.

Would be nice to figure it out. We would love to feed them less, but I am afraid of underfeeding and the chickens getting thin ... especially coming into winter when they need to keep themselves warm.

It's time to worm them again, maybe that will help. I don't think we have a problem, but having added new chickens and having so many, I like to do it a couple times a year, just in case.

I do that LOL... well kind of, I have a hanging feeder available 24/7, and when I change the feed I let them clean up their mess before I put the feeder back in, usually only takes about 20 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom