Need/want to let the 2mo old chickens out in the run, how cold is to cold???

simple smiths

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2017
Good day,

We have 9 2mo old chickens in a 6x7x7 coop (which is built inside a large out building.) They are heated by one 125w lamp. I want to let the poor guys out in the run, which we were doing anytime it was 50f and above.

It hasn't reached 50f in a week now (Ohio), but I am wondering at what temp can I open the run door for them?
Will they just go back inside at that age if they were to cold?

Big Thanks

From what I've read they can regulate their body temp when they're fully feathered. I would let them out and check on them periodically.
I'm in Ohio too. Isn't this weather the worst?!

Last edited:
Mine are all 3 wks and under in age. If they were fully feathered I would let them out today, probably not yesterday though as we had snow and freezing rain with a good amount of wind. Today seems alright and with a little supervision I don't think anything bad would happen. The wind is calm and it's not bad out and they can get back in on their own. This is just what I would do.
Now if I noticed them all huddled in the corner of the run I would put those silly Billie's back in the coop. Hence the checking in on them. :D

Last edited:
Two months? They are way past old enough. They shouldn't even be on heat. You're keeping them so warm there is no incentive for them to feather out at a normal rate (IE the rate they would feather if raised by a broody). If nothing else get rid of that bulb. You'll be doing you both a favor!

ETA I raise mine in an outdoor brooder with its own attached run. I start letting them go in the run at about ten days. They go back in to warm up if it's windy or cold but for the most part are piecing, flapping, scratching, and dust bathing in 30-40 degree weather even at that age, the same as they do when a hen raises them.

Last edited:
Two months? They are way past old enough. They shouldn't even be on heat. You're keeping them so warm there is no incentive for them to feather out at a normal rate (IE the rate they would feather if raised by a broody). If nothing else get rid of that bulb. You'll be doing you both a favor!

ETA I raise mine in an outdoor brooder with its own attached run. I start letting them go in the run at about ten days. They go back in to warm up if it's windy or cold but for the most part are piecing, flapping, scratching, and dust bathing in 30-40 degree weather even at that age, the same as they do when a hen raises them.

I very much agree. Get rid of the heat source, they don’t need it.

I also agree to just open the pop door and let them decide what they want to do. They can handle it, especially since they have been in the run before. They know what they need to do.

Yep, they know more about being a chicken, than people ever will. If they have a space they can retreat to, they will if they are too cold. Just leave the pop up door open and let it be their choice. Shut the lamp off, and they will most likely head out. They may be a bit timid at first, but it is because they hate change, and if you have been keeping them locked up, that is a big scary new place. It won't be because they are cold. A little wind protection in the run is a good idea, they will stay outside in the fresh air longer if they can get a little wind protection.

My chicks are outside today, they are 12 days old. Sunshine, fresh air and space are good for chicks.

Mrs K

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom