Needing advice about chicks.

theparishfamily

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 1, 2013
villa rica, ga
I go later this week to get some chicks. I talked to the breeder about the breeds i was looking for and most of them he has and are around2 weeks old but one breed i want he said should hatch in the next day or two and will only be a few days old when i pick up. Will it be ok to mix chicks of these ages?

As long as they are under a month old (both ages must be), they should be fine to mix. This does vary between breeds, though, so I wouldn't advise putting aggressive breeds together as they may fight and kill the others!

Thank you so much! I really wanted the liittle one but didnt want to chance it getting hurt.
I believe i've chosen chickens that will be calm and sweet, as well as roughly the same sixe when they grow and good layers.

I have decided on:
Barred rocks
Rhode island reds
Ameraucana
Austrilop
Cuckoo maran

I think colors of the feathers and eggs will make this mix beautiful. But i have only ever worked with beautiful barred rocks and one little austrilop before so im open to advice about my mix.

Last edited:
I go later this week to get some chicks. I talked to the breeder about the breeds i was looking for and most of them he has and are around2 weeks old but one breed i want he said should hatch in the next day or two and will only be a few days old when i pick up. Will it be ok to mix chicks of these ages?
I just got my first chicks, all from a breeder. I got ten different breeds and they were all different ages, from just a couple days old up to two weeks old. The older ones were really curious about the babies, but they get along just fine. It's worked out great because the older ones teach the babies how to eat, drink, etc. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom