Needing advice re possible Mareks

After doing so much research and stressing about Mareks, I am going to try and get her riboflavin/B2 levels up and cross my fingers that things get better. I noticed her take a step today with her toes curled on one foot. She is foraging like crazy in the coop and she is a smart bird so maybe she instinctually is looking for what she needs.

Keeping this post updated for future chicken keepers seeking advice for similar symptoms. Supplementing Beyonce’s diet with meat and mixed greens with a lot of spinach. She loves rib bones. LOVES. She still seems healthy and fine apart from the unsteadiness. I feel like this has been going on for too long to be Mareks and not see symptoms in my other birds. Will keep updating!

I purchased 4 silkie babies from craigslist and all of them had Marek's I found out. generally you see paralysis in like the wing hanging down or they lose balance . All of my silkie babes had the paralysis and ended up dying or being culled. unfortunately
Thank you for the information, and sorry for your loss :( she doesn’t do anything strange with her wing but she stumbles here and there. If I pick her up and set her down she goes right down on her haunches every single time. Like she doesn’t bear weight on her legs when being put down. But she stands and walks just fine? She even scratches the top of her head while standing on one leg!

If this is mareks the only thing that will tell for sure is having a freshly deceased or culled bird sent for necropsy. Comparing symptoms and looking up everything you can on the internet is no replacement for certified testing, and you'll get a clear answer. A number of the symptoms of mareks can be caused by other things. If it is mareks, diet supplementing probably isn't going to do much - haven't seen any scientific literature to support that idea at all. If she is getting better on diet supplements, it's likely mareks isn't the culprit and it's time to be looking at other factors.

If this is mareks the only thing that will tell for sure is having a freshly deceased or culled bird sent for necropsy. Comparing symptoms and looking up everything you can on the internet is no replacement for certified testing, and you'll get a clear answer. A number of the symptoms of mareks can be caused by other things. If it is mareks, diet supplementing probably isn't going to do much - haven't seen any scientific literature to support that idea at all. If she is getting better on diet supplements, it's likely mareks isn't the culprit and it's time to be looking at other factors.
Yes I am diet supplementing to rule Mareks out. I am hoping for a vitamin deficiency and a coincidental eye injury. Watching and treating her as if she has a vitamin deficiency is about the only thing I can do.

So I’ve been supplementing her for a few days and the compulsive foraging behaviour seems to have stopped. A few things could be causing this as I also started putting out a bowl of oyster shell the same time, the temp has come up in our area a LOT (we’re talking 40 degrees) and she seems more rested. Not lethargic, but just a bit more relaxed. As for the eye, I have read that too much exposure to light can cause cataracts in chickens and we have them housed in a sunroom! Hopefully putting the pieces of this puzzle together.

A chicken can remain asymptomatic while the virus replicates itself - up to something like 5 months. The only reason to send her off to the lab is too find out what it is if it's not Mareks. Long before you cull her or she dies she has been shedding the virus exposing the entire flock.

Mareks like AI is a community disease. When one is diagnosed with it, it's a safe assumption that all the members have been exposed to it.

A chicken can remain asymptomatic while the virus replicates itself - up to something like 5 months. The only reason to send her off to the lab is too find out what it is if it's not Mareks. Long before you cull her or she dies she has been shedding the virus exposing the entire flock.

Mareks like AI is a community disease. When one is diagnosed with it, it's a safe assumption that all the members have been exposed to it.
What is AI? As far as the flock goes, there isn't much I can do. I have 4 to be integrated but they are in such close proximity to each other that they have been exposed too. So far everyone is totally healthy.

Back
Top Bottom