Needing advice re possible Mareks

Well today another giant double yolker. The last one came after not laying for a few days but she has been laying consistently. Today she is very anxious about something and she is also becoming quite aggressive with my little silkie pullet. I’ve been bringing her in the house to hangout to give them each some space.

Does anyone know if I can rule out Mareks at this point purely from the fact that this has been going on too long without any decline? I think the eye thing showed up early Jan and the balance started in December sometime? I did some roost practice with her again and she did a bit better on the back of a padded chair but still not great and she goes on her hocks to eat but she doesn't stumble anymore. I want to rule out Mareks but I am not sure if its a lengthy decline or a short one and I cant find too much information on that particular aspect of the disease.

Does anyone know if I can rule out Mareks at this point purely from the fact that this has been going on too long without any decline? I think the eye thing showed up early Jan and the balance started in December sometime? I did some roost practice with her again and she did a bit better on the back of a padded chair but still not great and she goes on her hocks to eat but she doesn't stumble anymore. I want to rule out Mareks but I am not sure if its a lengthy decline or a short one and I cant find too much information on that particular aspect of the disease.
It's hard to be sure about Marek's unless you do tests. Even then, some of the tests can be inaccurate. From what I've read, chickens can show symptoms of Marek's and recover, though they still may have balance issues.

It's hard to be sure about Marek's unless you do tests. Even then, some of the tests can be inaccurate. From what I've read, chickens can show symptoms of Marek's and recover, though they still may have balance issues.
Yes I’ve heard that too. She just has never been sick. Eating, drinking, laying and normal poop so I think after this amount of time its okay for me to rule it out. Unfortunately all the testing requires her to be dead but she isnt sick. Also, I have 6 other birds that are all totally fine. I’m really hoping to rule it out.

Yes I’ve heard that too. She just has never been sick. Eating, drinking, laying and normal poop so I think after this amount of time its okay for me to rule it out. Unfortunately all the testing requires her to be dead but she isnt sick. Also, I have 6 other birds that are all totally fine. I’m really hoping to rule it out.
The fact that it hasn't gotten any worse than stumbling makes me think it would probably be safe to say it isn't Marek's. I'm not an expert on the disease, but I've researched it a lot because I suspect my flock has it. There's a feather test and a blood test that don't require the bird to be dead. Unfortunately, the blood test can be inaccurate and the feather test is expensive. The problem with Marek's is that it can only affect one or two birds at a time, especially in smaller flocks. I don't think you have to worry, just think twice about selling/giving away birds. And, if one dies of an unknown cause, send it for a necropsy.

The fact that it hasn't gotten any worse than stumbling makes me think it would probably be safe to say it isn't Marek's. I'm not an expert on the disease, but I've researched it a lot because I suspect my flock has it. There's a feather test and a blood test that don't require the bird to be dead. Unfortunately, the blood test can be inaccurate and the feather test is expensive. The problem with Marek's is that it can only affect one or two birds at a time, especially in smaller flocks. I don't think you have to worry, just think twice about selling/giving away birds. And, if one dies of an unknown cause, send it for a necropsy.
Thanks. Another possibility is that all my other birds could be vaccinated as I got them from reputable sources except for my silkies, but they still could be. I know this bird wasnt. I hear you on the research, I have done sooo much reading about Mareks but even if she doesnt have it I’m a better bird owner now, and I won’t buy birds out of the trunk of a minivan again!

So this is my pullet Beyonce. She is an awesome chicken. American game mix. Super tame, super sweet but she could also be put out in the wild and probably live for years. She’s a bad a**. A couple weeks ago, this showed up on her eye. It hasn’t changed, gotten better, gotten worse. Its just there. She also stumbles now and then. Apart from that, she is great. She eats, she drinks, she lays in -10 degree weather. She barely sleeps in the cold, she is constantly up “foraging”. I have my suspicions about what is wrong with her. I have 2 other birds in with her that are healthy. I have 4 more birds to integrate into this flock of 3.
The only good news, is that if it is mareks, they aren’t in their permanent coop yet and it is nowhere near their current home. Though it is near the compost where I dump their bedding.
The 4 that have yet to be integrated are nearby. Probably near enough that they have been exposed.
Has anyone experienced these symptoms? If it seems like Mareks, what should I do? How long before I start seeing worse symptoms? Will the other 2 get it?
View attachment 2004022

Lol not mareks friend I also get confused when I noticed Third Eyelid of chickens this is very protective part of eyes mainly in all animals it's visible except poor humans lol

Back
Top Bottom