Needing help desperately

Wi_Pida

Songster
Mar 21, 2019
Gresham, Wisconsin
I helped a friend about 2 weeks ago with one of her ducks that appeared to have impact crop. The crop was rock solid and I could even feel what seemed like grain chunks. I had her start using olive oil and water to break things up. About 5 days ago since I hadn't heard from her I checked to see how things went. She said there still seemed to be a much smaller impact so I was able to get her to break up some of the impact with more olive oil and massage. Then I was able to get her to regurgitate very little greyish looking fluid but that was it.

3 days ago, she said she no longer felt the impact so I had her try a little mashed egg. The next day she begged me to take her in to see if I could save her because the crop was swelling up again and stayed that way over night. Before picking her up the other day I had her withdraw food and water for 12 hours. The impact crop seems to be gone but now she seems to have sour crop. When I picked her up her crop was swelled, gurgled when I massaged it but I couldn't smell anything from her breath nor could anyone else. I tried to see if I could get any more out of her crop with no luck. But I started giving her ACV and water.

Until today, she hasn't been lethargic, drinks fluids with no problem. But since I came home today she's now acting weak and lethargic. I gave her a little pureed food and more water with ACV. Which she did eat and drink a little. When I picked her up I could tell she's lost a lot of weight and is wobbly. I've never dealt with ducks until just a couple of months ago, only chickens until now. Is there something else I need to be doing. What kind of food should I (if any) should I give her? All I had on hand was a little cat food which I only gave her a couple TBS of. Am I treating her for the right thing and using the right method?

Grass, vegetables, along other fibrous materials can sometimes be tangled up in the gastrointestinal tract, and cause a blockage. Oftentimes due to the blockage, and buildup of feed in the crop, yeast, and other bad microorganisms may start cultivating at an alarming rate to the point the bird may pass if not treated.

If you notice a sour smell coming from her breath, it's very likely her crop has gone sour due to the buildup of yeast. To combat this yeast, you need to get your hands on an antifungal agent. Preferably, you would get what's called Nystatin, but due to shipping, it's unlikely you'll get it soon. Instead, consider going to your nearest health store, and picking up some miconazole; which should be found in the vaginal yeast section. Please refer to the article below for dosing:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Contrary to what some sources suggest, avoid tipping the bird upside down, in an attempt to pour fluids out of her crop, as that often results in aspiration. If you don't notice improvement with the fungal agent, it's possible her body is shutting down due to other reasons such as reproductive problems, infections, cancers, or tumors.

Grass, vegetables, along other fibrous materials can sometimes be tangled up in the gastrointestinal tract, and cause a blockage. Oftentimes due to the blockage, and buildup of feed in the crop, yeast, and other bad microorganisms may start cultivating at an alarming rate to the point the bird may pass if not treated.

If you notice a sour smell coming from her breath, it's very likely her crop has gone sour due to the buildup of yeast. To combat this yeast, you need to get your hands on an antifungal agent. Preferably, you would get what's called Nystatin, but due to shipping, it's unlikely you'll get it soon. Instead, consider going to your nearest health store, and picking up some miconazole; which should be found in the vaginal yeast section. Please refer to the article below for dosing:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Contrary to what some sources suggest, avoid tipping the bird upside down, in an attempt to pour fluids out of her crop, as that often results in aspiration. If you don't notice improvement with the fungal agent, it's possible her body is shutting down due to other reasons such as reproductive problems, infections, cancers, or tumors.
Will monistatin work for sour crop? I actually have some of that on hand because one of my hens developed a prolapse along with the yeast infection. And unfortunately, since it's so cold and I was at work her vent had become a bit frostbite. So I have both of them in separate cages and my hospital. Anyway, as far as having her upside down I don't do that. What I do is lean her forward so her neck is extended and she's on an angle when I massage her crop. That's when I was able to get the grayish substance out of her. Is it okay to give her food? As long as it's pureed?

Will monistatin work for sour crop? I actually have some of that on hand because one of my hens developed a prolapse along with the yeast infection. And unfortunately, since it's so cold and I was at work her vent had become a bit frostbite. So I have both of them in separate cages and my hospital. Anyway, as far as having her upside down I don't do that. What I do is lean her forward so her neck is extended and she's on an angle when I massage her crop. That's when I was able to get the grayish substance out of her. Is it okay to give her food? As long as it's pureed?

Monistat contains miconazole, so yes, you could administer that. If she still has some "fibrous balls" in her crop, massaging/breaking them away would be OK; massaging a very soft crop, can put internal pressure inside, and cause fluids to come out of her esophagus, which has the potential of causing aspiration, and pneumonia. Since there still could be a block further down the GI tract, consider getting some coconut oil, or Dulcolax inside her as well to help loosen everything up. A little bit of moistened feed would be fine.

Last edited:
Surgery would be something best performed by a veterinarian experienced with poultry. Probiotics may be helpful, but the focus needs to be mainly concentrated on combating the overgrowth of yeast that is likely occurring in the crop. Since there may be a potential blockage further down the GI tract, preventing proper flow, administration of a laxative, or stool softener may also be beneficial.

I agree with @Isaac 0 the tipping upside down treatment.

Back
Top Bottom