Needing reassurance, i am freaking out, just culled for the 1st time

hi. I don't mind blood and all, but I wouldnt hurt an animal in any ways. We got chicks for the 1st time so my young kids could learn and interact with them.
I have 2 cockerels that I posted on various sites first to confirm gender but also offer them for free. Nobody showed interest and 1 starting crowing. We are not allowed rooster. So I felt it was inhumane to abandon them in the forest, so I cull them with a home made killing cone from a bottomless 1 gallon water bottle, which I had enlarged the neck for them to fit in nicely, and after research online, convene to use garden loppers as I was too scared of doing a wrong cut with a knife, and missing them with an axe.
Their bodies kept shaking for maybe 10 seconds after the snap.... were they feeling something? Maybe I should have stopped after the 1sr one, but I had to finish before freaking out.... i snapped the tool completely so their spinal cord must have been severed??? Did i do it wrong? There was little blood from the lopers maybe being dull...... but it must have severed the cord???
Please help, as I may have 2 more in a few weeks, still unsure of sex as of now. I need to do it right, and hubby refuses to help as he says chicks were my project and I need to embrace all aspects..... argghhh
It sounds to me like you did it right.
I am dreading having to do that. I am thinking that eventually I will have to.

I know it's tough (we also had to cull a cockerel since at the time we didn't know there were local farms that would take dinner donations) but glad you did the responsible thing instead of just dumping them somewhere to become someone else's problem, or to be chased down and eaten by predators.

Back
Top Bottom