Needing some serious coop advice!! Updated with PICS!! :)

1stepcloser

Poultry In Motion
10 Years
Sep 16, 2009
Dover, TN
I think it was Dirty Harry who said a man's got to know his limitations. I am assuming that applies to women as well. I am in bad need of a larger coop but do not want to pay $1000 for it. That being said, there is NO WAY I can build a decent one even from plans. I *suck* at stuff like that and so does my DH (bless his computer loving heart).

Someone give me a GREAT idea to house 6 chicken that will not get the neighbors picketing my yard. That or tell me it is OK to spend a grand on my feathered babies.
wink.png

Last edited:
There is no reason to spend $1000 on a chicken coop for 6 chickens. I mean if you have it extra and want to, by all means but necessary? No. Not for a second.

Even this:

200908100724.jpg

Retails for less than $1000!

Also on Craigslist search under 'playhouse'.
Some of the ones I've seen lately around here would easily convert to a coop - just add roosts- and cost much less than $1000!

There was one on our local list a couple of weeks ago that easily would have housed a dozen hens. It was very nice looking made of solid wood with an actual sloped and shingled roof for $250 and windows. The ad said they spent nearly $1000 a couple of years ago in materials alone and I believed them. I'm kicking myself for not jumping on it immediately.

Also look for free pallets.

Do you know any handyman types that you could get to build one cheaper? Maybe get a less expensive kit for them to work with? Let us know how it goes.

Check and see if there is a second hand building supply store in your area. I know that you said you're not handy, but.....

Last time I was in the one around here they had a nifty playhouse set up made up with old exterior doors and windows. Minimal cutting since the doors were all a uniform size and they built the playhouse to the dimentions of the material they were using instead of making the material fit pre-determined dimentions. Sometimes ours gets whole playhouses donated too so it's worth calling. If you can't find something and you have it spend the grand.

Oh yeah, get something at least 50% larger then you think you need--Trust Me!
yippiechickie.gif

Not sure where your from, but if you can find an old cotton trailer they make really good coops.
Some plywood, paint and corrugated tin for the roof.

Back
Top Bottom