Neem oil for mites

The neem oil you get for organic gardening (Bonide neem oil) can that be used on on birds/animals and their housing? I got some for gardening... (Found it on sale so bought a bunch) and was expecting some horrid smell from what people have posted... But it smells like a citrus mixed with something... Certainly not awful or stinky.

It looks like that brand contains 70% neem oil if I am seeing the right thing. I would assume the other ingredients would be fine since it is marketed for organic gardening but maybe a google search of the other ingredients is advised just in case :)

I don't find it stinky in general. Smells earthy and musky to me. Some say it smells like peanut/garlic mix. :)

Would pure cold pressed neem oil be alright to use on chickens? Or is it should it be 70% or something lower???

I am sure you could use it pure but I have always mixed it with something to make it last longer. You could use canola oil, olive oil, peanut oil, anything you have on hand! I do a 50/50 mix and it works just as well as 100% pure neem. :)
About that time of year to put some on the birds for preventative maintenance actually! :)

Just to make sure... neem oil is alright to place directly on the bird? It won't hurt them or anything?

I have never observed any ill effects on the birds when using as a 50% topical treatment. I only use a few drops per bird as well.
I have also mixed in a little neem seed oil in their food before but I would be careful with this longterm because there was a study done where neem leaves were fed to chickens for an extended period and it caused reversible sterility in the males. :)

Great information here - thanks! I am thinking about whipping a jar of coconut oil (turns into an awesome balm or body butter when whipped) and mixing the neem oil in that way. I could apply it as a balm or salve and store it easily that way. Thoughts?

Great information here - thanks! I am thinking about whipping a jar of coconut oil (turns into an awesome balm or body butter when whipped) and mixing the neem oil in that way. I could apply it as a balm or salve and store it easily that way. Thoughts?

Worth a shot!! I put mine in a dropper but the salve idea sounds like it would be easy to apply as well :)
Let me know how it goes!

I swear by Neem seed oil. Keeps my kids lice free and my dogs flea free. I googled to see if it can be used on chickens and it brought me to this thread. I hope you don't mind me putting my 20c worth in to the discussion.

I believe I've read somewhere that Neem, once mixed, doesn't have a particularly good shelf life and will lose its effectiveness quickly (Please don't take my word for this though, I'm sure the information is out there if you'd like to check for yourself).

To use it on my kids and my dogs (and their bedding) I use it in a preventative manner. It works a treat. I take about a tsp of 100% Neem seed oil and mix it with the same amount of liquid soap (shampoo for the kids, flea control shampoo for the dogs) so that it will disperse in water. If you don't mix it with the soap of some kind, it will just float on top of the water and not mix. I then put it in to a spray bottle (roughly a cup in volume I guess) and fill it with water. Shake it to mix and spray away.

I find I don't need to get it on their skin, although I am certain some would find its way to their skin. I do however rub my dogs once I've sprayed them to spread it over their coat. The kids get a spray at the base of their hairline at the back, a spray above each ear and one in the middle/top of their head. Went from having regular occurrences of nits/fleas to NONE EVER once I started spraying the kids each morning before school. The dogs and their bedding just get sprayed when they are bathed (I also mix some Neem in to the dog shampoo I use and leave the lather on for a few minutes before rinsing).

I would probably use it on my chickens now that I've read this thread. Perhaps oiling the roosts/coop/nesting boxes and then a drop under their wings and back of their neck to start the preventative ball rolling and then the watered down spray, directly on to the chickens to maintain.

Trust me, you don't need much at all - I think that even a mix of 10% Neem to 90% of a cheaper oil might even do the trick. It's pretty good stuff!! A lesser mix might also suit those that still have concerns over it's toxicity. It does stink, but I find with the spray on my kids and dogs hair that the smell goes away as it dries and you would have to put your nose directly on the sprayed area to smell it. Either that or I just become accustomed to the smell after the initial heavy waft of garlicy scent when I first spray haha.

Back
Top Bottom