Negative Marek’s Test-What Could It Be?!

ddboersma

Songster
May 2, 2022
Hello! I have posted many questions on here trying to help/treat my flock since this past summer.

I thought for sure it boiled down to Marek’s disease. I have had 11 birds die since June. After the first 3 died within a few days of each other I got a fecal test confirming Coccidiosis and tape worm. I treated with Corid and Equimax. During that time a 4th bird died.
Shortly after treatment, a bird started limping and eventually became lame. Gave her Complex B vitamin tablet daily for 4 weeks with no improvement and culled. Between then and now, I have had 2 die unexpectedly, 1 die from what I believe was impacted crop (crop was squishy, vomited shortly after I picked her up and put her in isolated and she died), 1 with respiratory symptoms, and 2 more started limping and became lame and were culled. I also treated those 2 with B vitamins for a couple weeks, but they were just wasting away/getting really thin despite a good appetite. I will also mention that during this time I treated for Coccidiosis again at someone’s suggestion, even though the bird acting sick came back with a negative fecal result.

Right now I have another very sick bird. She started limping. Now can’t move legs or wings. I got in touch with someone who said members of her flock became lame after Coccidiosis every time, and only complex B injections worked for her birds, and they weren’t properly absorbing nutrients in pill form. After describing many things to this person, who is also medical and has had a flock for a long time, I decided to treat for Coccidiosis again, and also deworm my whole flock with Valbazen. Then the game plan was to start B injections on this same bird and see if she recovers. She has since developed labored breathing, so instead I am doing Tylan injections for now.

I honestly didn’t believe it could be anything but Marek’s, so I sent in blood and swab to RAL (Research Lab Associates) in TX to test for Marek’s specifically. It came back NEGATIVE today! I’m relieved, but also wondering what the heck is going on with my flock?!

Yesterday another gal started limping and today she can’t walk at all. Has been eating and drinking well and laying eggs. A big maran mix that looks and weighs healthy.

My older flock who is just over a year old now has not been impacted thus far. It has all been my pullets who are now 25 weeks old. No one is vaccinated for Marek’s. Everyone’s poop is GREEN despite being locked in run for months due to hawk attacks (no grass or greens to eat). Their poop is also primarily solid. I only feed Scratch and Peck pellets. Nothing else.

What do you all think this could be??? I’m going to send in another sample on the bird with labored breathing, and now the other that has stopped walking. What all should I test for?? I still have 13 birds with no symptoms.

I don’t want to submit necropsy unless I absolutely have to because it’s a 2 hour drive and $250.

Help! Please and thank you!

Hello! I have posted many questions on here trying to help/treat my flock since this past summer.

I thought for sure it boiled down to Marek’s disease. I have had 11 birds die since June. After the first 3 died within a few days of each other I got a fecal test confirming Coccidiosis and tape worm. I treated with Corid and Equimax. During that time a 4th bird died.
Shortly after treatment, a bird started limping and eventually became lame. Gave her Complex B vitamin tablet daily for 4 weeks with no improvement and culled. Between then and now, I have had 2 die unexpectedly, 1 die from what I believe was impacted crop (crop was squishy, vomited shortly after I picked her up and put her in isolated and she died), 1 with respiratory symptoms, and 2 more started limping and became lame and were culled. I also treated those 2 with B vitamins for a couple weeks, but they were just wasting away/getting really thin despite a good appetite. I will also mention that during this time I treated for Coccidiosis again at someone’s suggestion, even though the bird acting sick came back with a negative fecal result.

Right now I have another very sick bird. She started limping. Now can’t move legs or wings. I got in touch with someone who said members of her flock became lame after Coccidiosis every time, and only complex B injections worked for her birds, and they weren’t properly absorbing nutrients in pill form. After describing many things to this person, who is also medical and has had a flock for a long time, I decided to treat for Coccidiosis again, and also deworm my whole flock with Valbazen. Then the game plan was to start B injections on this same bird and see if she recovers. She has since developed labored breathing, so instead I am doing Tylan injections for now.

I honestly didn’t believe it could be anything but Marek’s, so I sent in blood and swab to RAL (Research Lab Associates) in TX to test for Marek’s specifically. It came back NEGATIVE today! I’m relieved, but also wondering what the heck is going on with my flock?!

Yesterday another gal started limping and today she can’t walk at all. Has been eating and drinking well and laying eggs. A big maran mix that looks and weighs healthy.

My older flock who is just over a year old now has not been impacted thus far. It has all been my pullets who are now 25 weeks old. No one is vaccinated for Marek’s. Everyone’s poop is GREEN despite being locked in run for months due to hawk attacks (no grass or greens to eat). Their poop is also primarily solid. I only feed Scratch and Peck pellets. Nothing else.

What do you all think this could be??? I’m going to send in another sample on the bird with labored breathing, and now the other that has stopped walking. What all should I test for?? I still have 13 birds with no symptoms.

I don’t want to submit necropsy unless I absolutely have to because it’s a 2 hour drive and $250.

Help! Please and thank you!
You can of course get false negatives. What RAL suggested to me was to do an environment swab or a multi day/ multi-chicken swab and re-test.
Just an idea.
I am sorry I cannot be more helful on your specific situation. I too lost a lot of my flock this summer and I know how devastating it is.

Can you send a picture of your set up? How much sun do they get?
I don’t have a picture handy because I’m not home…but I have 2 coops, 1 5x5 and 1 6x12. Wooden with metal roofing and several windows. Both are attached to a 20x30 fenced in run with hawk netting across the top. Full sun. The fencing is welded wire dog kennel panels.
We are almost done with the build of a new run with metal roof. I was hoping if I could keep their environment DRY it would be easier to clean and keep them healthy (I have coarse sand in my new run as I like it in my coops).

You can of course get false negatives. What RAL suggested to me was to do an environment swab or a multi day/ multi-chicken swab and re-test.
Just an idea.
I am sorry I cannot be more helful on your specific situation. I too lost a lot of my flock this summer and I know how devastating it is.
I’m sending in more swabs and will test for Marek’s again. On both birds I have isolated and maybe another that is healthy for now. Thank you for that suggestion! Im so sorry to hear about your flock as well…I have wanted chickens forever and have invested so much and am exhausted from all the tending I’m doing to sick chickens. I thought it would be easy as long as I kept them well fed and their environment clean.

I’m sending in more swabs and will test for Marek’s again. On both birds I have isolated and maybe another that is healthy for now. Thank you for that suggestion! Im so sorry to hear about your flock as well…I have wanted chickens forever and have invested so much and am exhausted from all the tending I’m doing to sick chickens. I thought it would be easy as long as I kept them well fed and their environment clean.
:hugs :hugs :hugs

Oh I so feel how you feel. I have done nothing but nurse sick chickens since about April and I am exhausted. My remaining chickens seem to have been OK now for a couple of months (apart from a heavy molt) but I wake up each morning prepared to find another one gone.
Hang in there!

Just an idea.
Any suggestions on other things I should test for?

:hugs :hugs :hugs

Oh I so feel how you feel. I have done nothing but nurse sick chickens since about April and I am exhausted. My remaining chickens seem to have been OK now for a couple of months (apart from a heavy molt) but I wake up each morning prepared to find another one gone.
Hang in there!
Awe man 😔 thanks for your encouragement! Did yours end up having Mareks or is it a mystery?

Any suggestions on other things I should test for?
Well, I had one with respiratory symptoms who tested positive for infectious laryngo tracheitis. My others tested negative even though it is highly infectious.
I also tested for mycoplasma.
I did not test for AI because a positive would have meant destruction of them all and I wasn't ready for that.
However, our cases are different - only one of mine went lame and it was a vitamin B2 deficiency that I nursed her through over about 2 months and she is one of the survivors who runs around on those long beautiful legs that now work perfectly. Honestly, if it wasn't for my success with her I might have given up. She positively skips around now - but it did take massive doses of B2 for many, many weeks, along with a boot and leg massage/physical therapy.

Back
Top Bottom