Neighbor complaining about noisy hens; what can I do?

Pics

frogeyed

Chirping
Sep 24, 2019
I never had an account here until now, though I often "lurk" here for advice for my chickens. The reason I made this account is because this is an "emergency".

I'm a teen living in Lancaster, California. I have 3 hens and two juvenile chickens.

Just today, my mom had said my new neighbor(s) next door are complaining about my chickens being noisy (ironic considering last night, when it sounded like there was a dying screaming dog next door, not to mention there's so many other noisy garbage around here).
I never got any complaints until today. My mom is worried about being fined $1K+ due to possible noise complaints from them, and she now wants to get rid of the chickens that I've had for months.

A friend of my mom's who raises chickens isn't accepting any more chickens right now, and if I give my chickens to any other of my mom's friends, they'll most likely kill them for food regardless of age or whatever (it's probably a fillipino thing...happened to some of my chickens years ago when I was younger) rather than keeping them as pets or for eggs.

I've been trying to find some ways to fix this through this forum, and all I ever see are people saying to offer the offended (more like offending) neighbor some eggs, which won't work, or to cover the chicken coop, which is impossible for me to do due to how the cage / coop is built.

I keep trying to reason with my mom, but she isn't going to listen to me.

Is there anything I can do to keep my animals quiet? All the "choices" I have right now will most likely result in my chickens being killed. I'm really desperate, and I don't want to lose my pet chickens.

If it helps, I have a leghorn and two small bantams(?). The leghorn lays every day, and screams before and after (mostly when she wants to go outside). The other two barely make much noise, only when they lay an egg once in a while. The two younger chickens are relatively quiet.
I live in a city (sort of), so there's obviously some loud noises everywhere during the day.
Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum, but I don't know where else / what else to do...

Are you aloud to have chickens where you live? What kinds of sound ordinances do you have? Usually you don't get a fine right away, they start off with a warning if the officers find in favor of the other party.

I'm an idiot when it comes to laws and regulations around where I live...it's hard for me to get any information on my own (without directly contacting / calling any authority, which I haven't done). I've had chickens for a while, now, and I do know someone across the street that owns chickens (he gave me two of the chickens I have now), but I don't think that justifies me owning chickens.

I feel bad for barely knowing anything about regulations. The last house I used to live in, I had chickens. That was years ago, but it was also here in Lancaster, CA.

This was all I could find regarding owning chickens where I live : https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/lancaster-california-chicken-ordinance.61794/

I saw the proximity and noise "restrictions" listed there...I live in a neighborhood, which may be the problem when it comes to distance, especially noise.

I never had an account here until now, though I often "lurk" here for advice for my chickens. The reason I made this account is because this is an "emergency".

I'm a teen living in Lancaster, California. I have 3 hens and two juvenile chickens.

Just today, my mom had said my new neighbor(s) next door are complaining about my chickens being noisy (ironic considering last night, when it sounded like there was a dying screaming dog next door, not to mention there's so many other noisy garbage around here).
I never got any complaints until today. My mom is worried about being fined $1K+ due to possible noise complaints from them, and she now wants to get rid of the chickens that I've had for months.

A friend of my mom's who raises chickens isn't accepting any more chickens right now, and if I give my chickens to any other of my mom's friends, they'll most likely kill them for food regardless of age or whatever (it's probably a fillipino thing...happened to some of my chickens years ago when I was younger) rather than keeping them as pets or for eggs.

I've been trying to find some ways to fix this through this forum, and all I ever see are people saying to offer the offended (more like offending) neighbor some eggs, which won't work, or to cover the chicken coop, which is impossible for me to do due to how the cage / coop is built.

I keep trying to reason with my mom, but she isn't going to listen to me.

Is there anything I can do to keep my animals quiet? All the "choices" I have right now will most likely result in my chickens being killed. I'm really desperate, and I don't want to lose my pet chickens.

If it helps, I have a leghorn and two small bantams(?). The leghorn lays every day, and screams before and after (mostly when she wants to go outside). The other two barely make much noise, only when they lay an egg once in a while. The two younger chickens are relatively quiet.
I live in a city (sort of), so there's obviously some loud noises everywhere during the day.
Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum, but I don't know where else / what else to do...
Its AWESOME to find another teen on here! I have had the same problem when I had chickens. My mom got rid of the roosters who started to crow (but weren't very loud at all.) I would look up the laws in your area about noise and keeping chickens (I will gladly help you if you need it!) I would try talking to your neighbors and explaining why they do it. I might bring them I carton of eggs or something sort of like a peace offering and that could show your neighbors that the chickens are being used for something instead of making noise. If your anything like me you love your animals. I hope you get this resolved and let me know if you need help! Good luck!

my recommendation would be to contact the city to find out what the ordinances are (if they aren’t published)....if you are in compliance with the ordinance then the neighbors will have to “deal with it” noise complaints are typically handled by the police and are usually only enforceable during a city’s “quiet hours” which are normally after 10pm until sunrise (thus the issue with rooster bans)
neighbors suck!! Good luck with your situation....as i have been dealing with similar situation even though I gave all my chickens away and now only have quail and pheasants. unfortunately here they only enforce unpublished ordinances by complaint so even though I passed initial “inspection” I may still have to bring my numbers down to 6-8 birds regardless of size/species at any time.

Its AWESOME to find another teen on here! I have had the same problem when I had chickens. My mom got rid of the roosters who started to crow (but weren't very loud at all.) I would look up the laws in your area about noise and keeping chickens (I will gladly help you if you need it!) I would try talking to your neighbors and explaining why they do it. I might bring them I carton of eggs or something sort of like a peace offering and that could show your neighbors that the chickens are being used for something instead of making noise. If your anything like me you love your animals. I hope you get this resolved and let me know if you need help! Good luck!

I myself did not get the complaint about the chickens, my mom did. But I'll ask her about what they said (if she'll actually be specific with it...).
I doubt they'll want any eggs from my chickens. I just feel like they see my hens as noise making machines and nothing more, and I really don't wanna be all "buddy" with them. They don't seem like reasonable people... :(

And I do love my chickens. A lot. My life was full of chickens, and I see them as pets / companions, so I want to do whatever I can to keep them here and safe.

20190924_175411.jpg
20190924_175357 (1).jpg
20190924_175345.jpg
20190924_175407.jpg

Here's some photos of my chickens' coop. I know a bunch of you chicken experts will get upset at how terrible and trashy this thing is, but I didn't build it nor would my parents buy a commercial coop... :s

I'm also concerned about this whole "Newcastle outbreak" that has been going on in California for a while now. I'm afraid if I mention my chickens to any authority in my area, they might have my chickens killed or something (I believe some people have been having chickens killed around here to "avoid the risk" of them getting ill).

Back
Top Bottom