Neighbor complaint!! = missing chickens??

Bird Hearder

Songster
11 Years
Apr 10, 2008
Salisbury, Md.
Today I was getting ready for work and the dog starts Barking like crazy (somebodys Here). So I go out and talk with the lady complaining about chickens in her yard and whats left of a garden this time of year. I told her I'm sorry and we are trying to get this run completed for them but they keep jumping the fence. I apoligized again and offered her some eggs which she declined and then said If she knew what to do with chickens she would be having dinner. Then proceded to tell me her DH (PFFT!) was an OLD Farm boy. And continued to say if they get in her dog pen. Well Lilbizzy came home and did her usual head count as they were bedding down and found the 2 were missing. Our Littlest Roo and a hen.

Looking at Lilbizzy's Pic this neighbor lives right behind us on the other side of the long strip of property owned by house #4

MAP.jpg

The more I think back the Lady was being a Witch with a laugh.
I hope they come home in the morning otherwise I'm going to have to go have a few words with her.
My fingers are crossed it's just a coincidence with she had said!!

Hold your horses, don't jump the gun. She probably has no idea where those chickens are.

It isn't fair to blame her, the chickens were in her yard. It is our responsibility to contain our animals. She doesn't have to be understanding about them coming into her yard. Sorry. It's a fact of life in these United States.

Have your fence fixed today. Make it a priority or you may lose more chickens.

I have been in the same boat, I lost mine to dogs.

Hope you find your chickens.

I have to agree with, shareneh.

Fix your fences. Contain your chickens.

Anything that happens to them because they got out and into someone elses property is no one's fault but your own.

I love my chickens. I do not love anyone else's chickens. They are not welcome to stray onto my property for any reason.

If I catch them they will be dinner.

If you want to be upset or angry with anyone you have to point the finger of blame at yourself and not your neighbors. You need to give the dressing down you are saving for the neighbor to the person in the mirror.

I have to agree with the posters, your responsible for containing your poultry on your property. I have one neighbor and she loves my chickens and gets eggs on a regular basis but she also has a beautiful lawn and flowers so my hens are never unsupervised to be able to enter hers.

The runaways were strolling around the yard innocently this morning. I gave the little rooster a talking to about staying out all night. And reminded the little hen that she would NOT have a good girl reputation if she stays out all night with a boy.
I opened the shed to let the little ones out, and our little runaway girl ran in and laid an egg.

Fix your fence, then tell the ole biddy if she comes back on your yard her "ole farmboy" will need to start searching for her!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Accidents happen, its on you to correct it, that does not mean your neighbor has to return it "unneighborness". Do your part though so you are standing on the side of right.

I'm with mjdtexan.
I would get the fenced fix. Cover it with netting. It is your responsibilty to keep your animals on your property.
However, the lady was being a witch and I would laugh at her too. Animals do get out, and I did'nt eat my neighbors steers when they ran all over my property. Come to think of it, both my neighbors have had steers running loose on my place at one time or another.
Dogs on my property are a different story because they kill, not only chickens but goats, sheep, other fowl, mini horses etc.... Then I turn into a witch.

I agree with all that MissPrissy said. It is our responsibility to contain our own animals.

In the end you may owe the neighbor an apology for the way things went just to keep peace in the neighborhood. Offer her eggs again or fresh veggies if you have them. Hey, go an extra mile and invite them to dinner (chicken dinner).

If we show our neighbors we care, then the tension goes away.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom