Neighbor Complaints on Kauai

Aug 10, 2019
Hawaii
Apologies in advance, this might be very long. I’ve had this issue bottled up for so long and I can’t think of any better place to vent about it than here. I’m also very sorry if it gets confusing.

First off, I live on Kauai, Hawaii. This island is well known for wild chickens everywhere.
I have 3 roosters and 5 hens (I know I don’t have enough hens for my roosters but I’ll explain why later). The roosters are kept on one side of the house next to my cat neighbor and I regularly take them out of their cages around 10-11am and put them back in at 6pm to free range. They don’t crow at night, but obviously they’ll start saying something around 5 am.

I have a neighbor on the other side (I’ll refer to him as anti chicken neighbor) who has been complaining and harassing myself and my parents for months about my chickens being too noisy. He has blatantly told my parents that it’s against the law to keep more than 2 and that they’re a disturbance. Because he stated this as a fact, my parents were worried and made me look up our local county laws. When they first told me about this, I thought there is absolutely no way that it’s true. Logically because we live on an island where they are everywhere and many others who live near us have chickens and roosters. If other people can have multiple chickens and roosters, why can’t I? I looked up the Kauai County Code to be sure and of course there is absolutely no law about how many chickens we can/can’t keep as well as the noise they make. Our neighborhood is also not a part of any HOA.

I felt that my family and I did all that we could do. We kept the rooster coops on the opposite side and they have a regulated time when they are let out to free range. We also invested in no crow collars. But even with the collars, our anti chicken neighbor still complains about the noise. One time I caught him shooting water at my chickens when they were ON OUR PROPERTY. I was practically livid when I witnessed the whole thing and when I told my parents about it I found out this was not the only time he’s done it. Can you imagine your neighbor shooting water at your child or your pet dog if they were making noise on your property at a reasonable hour??? He has also called the cops on another neighbor for their dog pooping on his yard so I’m assuming he must have tried calling the cops on us too but they never came by the house. And my cat neighbor i mentioned earlier is married to a police officer. She and her husband has never complained about our chickens even though they’re much closer to the rooster coop. And to be sure, we also personally asked them about it. My cat neighbor knows my beef with anti chicken neighbor and about the water incident. She also told me that there is no law about keeping chickens and the noise they make.

I’m basically at my wits end with my anti chicken neighbor. And I don’t know what else I can do. My parents already rehome a few hens I had but I definitely do not want to give up any more because of him.

:hugsSo sorry your going through this! Crappy neighbors drive me nuts.:rantI understand your rant but don't have any advise to give you. I would absolutely not get rid of my birds when I am within the law. Maybe print out the laws regarding chickens and mail it to him.;) With the laws concerning animal abuse.
Thank you so much for your response. It’s has been really frustrating! But I love your idea. I’ll definitely keep it in mind!

Was your family moved in the house before he showed up or has he been there longer?
If you were there first, you're typically 'grandfathered in', which solidifies that he can't do diddly.
I’m not sure tbh. I think it might have been about the same time?? He’s always been there since I grew up and I can’t remember anyone who may have lived there before him.
For our house, I know that we are the first family so no one has lived in our house before. And it’s been about 30 years

Look up laws on harassment, because I bet there is something in the laws about harassing a neighbor’s pet/livestock. Then print and mail that to your anti-chicken neighbor
If you can’t find anything, reach out to your Cat Neighbor and see if the police officer husband can direct you where to look up laws on harassment. I’d bet what your neighbor is doing to your chickens could fall under some type of harassment laws.

If it gets really bad, you may want to look into setting up a restraining order where your neighbor cannot interact with you or your pets. But that could potentially anger them even more and cause them to lash out.

Last edited:
Look up laws on harassment, because I bet there is something in the laws about harassing a neighbor’s pet/livestock. Then print and mail that to your anti-chicken neighbor
If you can’t find anything, reach out to your Cat Neighbor and see if the police officer husband can direct you were to look up laws on harassment. I’d bet what your neighbor is doing to your chickens could fall under some type of harassment laws.

If it gets really bad, you may want to look into setting up a restraining order where your neighbor cannot interact with you or your pets. But that could potentially anger them even more and cause them to lash out.
Thank you for your advice! I really appreciate it. I didn’t even consider a restraining order but it’s a good idea if it gets worse

Bad neighbors are the pits.

use a camera (like a game camera or security camera) that can record the intersection of the yards. If the neighbor throws anything or shoots water at your chickens it will be caught On camera. Also document dates and times of his misbehavior. You will need documentation if you press any charges, or escalate the issue in any way. I would not recommend a restraining order unless last resort bc it will likely just escalate the problem bc you are dealing with an irrational person who has proven to be unable/unwilling to control their behavior.

good luck.

Bad neighbors are the pits.

use a camera (like a game camera or security camera) that can record the intersection of the yards. If the neighbor throws anything or shoots water at your chickens it will be caught On camera. Also document dates and times of his misbehavior. You will need documentation if you press any charges, or escalate the issue in any way. I would not recommend a restraining order unless last resort bc it will likely just escalate the problem bc you are dealing with an irrational person who has proven to be unable/unwilling to control their behavior.

good luck.
Yes! Document everything you can! This person sounds like they have passed the "bad neighbor" status and are solidly on the "bully" level.
Only thing you can do is ignore it and live your own life (documenting all of the harrassment as you go along). Or call his bluff. A fictitious claim of a law being broken is just a scare tactic assuming that you are uninformed. Tell them you are breaking no laws but the harrassment must end or you will pursue charges of your own. If that doesn't work, do it! Restraining order etc. Using all your documentation as evidence.

Back
Top Bottom