Neighbor dogs

Glad you called and reported the whacko neighbors, people who let dogs roam seem to always believe it is their dog's right to do so, my neighbor seems to feel his dogs have more right to annoy others than human property owners have to enjoy their home. He came over and got in my face one time after the cops were called on his dogs, I took his bs then I called the cops again and informed them I took his garbage one time because I am the one who is trying to go about things legally in this situation, but if he comes over here again he will be getting his rear end kicked right back across the road. He hasn't been back, and if he would have threatened my family like your neighbor did you I would have handed him a rather sound beating. The 380 something disorderly conduct ticket would be well worth it.

It sounds like the OP is trying to do the right thing concerning her neighbors dogs. It's a tough spot to be in when you want to be a good neighbor, but have to keep your livestock safe.

I made my feelings very clear within months after moving here that I will not tolerate neighbors dogs coming onto my property, much less chase my animals. A few months after we got here I spotted a neighbors dog (pit bull) chasing some new calves and I didn't waste any time putting a bullet in him. I never told him that I was the one who did it either. He may suspect the dog was killed, but has only said "he disappeared" in passing coversation.

A few months later, maybe a year, we got new neighbors accross the road. A young couple with a couple of small boys. The first time we had a chance to talk after they moved in they were asking about my animals. I went down the list of what we raised and offered to give them the nickle tour. During the conversation I also let it be known that I don't tolerate stray dogs. They understood completely. A few weeks later they got a shepard mix pup that I caught in my pasture and chaseing the cows and horses. I liked this dog cause he was smart and actually did a good job keeping watch on my property as well as his (I never had a deer problem in the garden, or strangers walking up the road for no apparent reason when he was on guard) so I shot at him, not to kill him but to make him think I would. After a couple days he figured out that this only happened when he was after the animals. Like I said, he was smart! He never chased them again. My neighbor knew what I was doing, and they told me that if he was threatening my animals to shoot him. I just couldn't do it to this particular dog though.

Having said that I have another neighbor that can care less. They recently got a hound pup that they'd let run wild every morning. I've caught him twice going after my chickens but as soon as I open the door he takes off. I've gone to speak to them about it and they don't seem to get it. A few days ago I was talking to my neighbor accross the road and mentioned to her that I was keeping an eye out for that dog and if I got the chance I'd shoot him. I think she went over and let the owners know that they better be a little more responsible for their dog or he would be gone. I haven't seen the dog in a few days so I hope they got the message, or got rid of him.

My dogs have never chased my animals, and if they do they won't be around long. Not only for my animals protection, but for my neighbors animals as well. It works both ways.

ETA: I want to also mention that calling the sherriff is a 50/50 proposition out here. They may come out and talk to the owner, or they may not. A stud showed up here one morning and tried to go after my horses. I didn't know where he came from but he forced his way through a fence, injured two of my horses and just raised all kinds of chaos. With my sons help we ran him into a pasture away from the others and I went in to call the sherriff to let them know in case someone reported missing a horse. The dispatcher took all of my information and said someone would come out. They never showed up or even called me back to take the basic information. .

Last edited:
Quote: Interesting statement, see it all the time. Using it to make my point here, not picking on you, JanO-Why isn't the dog owner called upon to be a good neighbor? He already is showing lack of respect for the chicken owner so why must the chicken owner tiptoe around the dog owner's feelings?

The chicken owners ought to show just as much caring and respect toward the dog owner as the dog owner has shown. Unfortunately, dogs always pay the price for their bad owners. It's just the way it is. My chickens will not be paying the price, I can tell you that. I owned dogs for 30 years. Never lost track of them. We put up proper fences to keep them contained, as was our responsibility. It's not rocket science.

Last edited:
I haven't seen my neighbors dogs in about 2-3 weeks now. I'm almost positive that one of my neighbors called and reported her before I was able to. I was going to as soon as I saw the dogs on our property again, and ended up not needing to.

My neighbor across the street also has chickens that free range, and my neighbor next to us has a really nice garden that the dogs wouldn't stop tramping through. We also have a neighbor down the street who owns cows that the dogs wouldn't leave alone. So these dogs were causing some major problems. Good thing the owner of the dogs was reported and I haven't seen the dogs since. It makes me feel much safer about free ranging my chickens.

I'll have to keep an eye out for those dogs from now on. Hopefully we don't have any more problems like this in the future. I think one time is more than enough!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom