Neighbor feeding Raccoons

bbossltd

Songster
11 Years
Nov 26, 2011
Cleveland
Well i've read plenty of great things on BYC, but this may be the first. Short history: I live in Cleveland, when i decided to raise me some chickens I had to go threw all the necessary procedures (permit, inspections by city). My neighbors (adjoining to property) had to me notified of my plans on obtaining chickens, which out of the 3 only 1 objected to it on the form (and i was really surprised by that, because they were just worried about their dog getting to my chickens). So I obtained my permit, build my coop and my hens are doing great (14weeks old now). Now my one neighbor who is so into the greater life of animals and save all creatures, was so disturbed when he thought i was raising chickens to kill and eat has decided to start feeding the ferile cats and raccoons within 15' of my coop and run!!!

My son decided to camp out in the backyard one night and this is how we found out. He called me from his cell phone and when i went out to look, I must say i've never seen so many raccoons in one spot in my life (not one cat seen) and i'm a outdoorsman (camping, fishing, hunting, etc..) Basically it seems he has attracted every raccoon within the whole city of Cleveland..lol "not really funny". It was around midnight and I decided to wake my neighbor and ask him why he was feeding the racoons? He gives me this long story on how he is helping god's creatures get the extra nutrients that they need, etc.. I explain to him that he has just created a tremendous problem for me and my hens, because i'm sure they already knew my hens were there but now they will make even more attempts at getting my hens.

Now since i live in the city limits i'm not allowed to shoot them (I wish), trapping them is a idea, then i could take them out to a friends farm and shoot them but thats alot of gas..lol Also thought that since my neighbor is a vegan and is so much in love of animals (don't get me wrong, I don't eat alot of meat and I care for wildlife myself) that maybe i should sacrifice one of my hens and process one while he is out doing yard work. Then tell him, I better eat my chickens before the raccoons do...

Anyways not sure what steps I will take at this time, but wanted to share my dilema and see what thoughts my BYC friends have.

P.S. My coop and run is pretty secure I hope, I have 19guage welded wire covering the outside pen (except where I installed plywood on top for shade. Its ran about 2' out at bottom on 3 sides with bricks on top. One side adjoining coop is buried 3' deep, cause the coop is about 1 1/2' off ground. All the eaves on coop are covered with welded wire and outside windows, even the ridgevent on roof.

It sounds like you have a very secure coop - but of course that's a lot of raccoons!

You might want to talk to the city about what constitutes creating a nuisance. Deliberately attracting disease-bearing vermin to your back yard might fall under that. If so, get a game cam and gather evidence.

On the education front, search the forum for pics of chickens killed by racoons and print them out. Carry one of your hens over to meet the neighbor: "Hi, this is Henny, she's one of God's creatures. Here's some pics of raccoon kills. How about we don't encourage this segment of God's creatures to congregate in the area?"

Well actualy we are the vermin we came in to their habitat. But thats not the point the point is you can catch them and maybe relocate them to a forest so your happy your neighbors are happy and so are your hens! Best of luck
smile.png

Amazing how many clueless people are in this world.

I think what she is doing may actually be illegal. She needs to quit. My neighbor was doing that and we live way out in the country. Raccoons are a huge vector for rabies--she is endangering everyone around you, humans, dogs, cats (coons kill and eat cats, in case she didn't know) and your chickens. Tell her all that and if she doesn't quit, tell her that you'll report her.

Last edited:
Talk to the city or look up the city ordinances. I'm sure that it's against the city ordinances to feed wildlife. If so just explain to your neighbor that they are breaking the law and not really helping the wildlife. Wildlife does have to forage for itself and trust me, I'm pretty sure that raccoons can find all the nutrients they need all on their own.

I think in Euclid a lady was charged for feeding deer. Coons might be illegal too around there. I would report it mutiple times until she is stopped.Given that most coons carry roundworm I would expect it to be illegal to encourage them to live in near homes.The more coons the more worms.

Have you ever watched episodes of Monsters Inside Me? A few were on roundworms.Amazing the amount of worms a few coons can deposit.If you don't pick them up then your pets will.More amazing what the roundworms do once inside your body.Always wear gloves when dealing with the trap.The poop a lot when caught.Maybe they always poop a lot.

If no one does anything I would just start trapping the coons,but be sure no one can see the trap.Bleeding hearts might make it an issue publicly and/or release the varmits.Good luck!

If you trap keep it set for a LONG time. I have caught over 20 and I am not in the country.

The pictures of raccoons killing chickens is definately something I will do and I will get more printed info on the worms to give to my neighbor. I would trap and relocate in our park system but its only a few miles away from me and i'm sure they will come back. Thank you all..

Well actualy we are the vermin we came in to their habitat. But thats not the point the point is you can catch them and maybe relocate them to a forest so your happy your neighbors are happy and so are your hens! Best of luck
smile.png

actually, this is illegal in almost every state though some will allow it IF you have a permit. Others, even professional wildlife workers are required to euthanize nuisance animals.
Relocating spreads disease and is generally a death sentence to the relocated animals.

for Ohio: Nuisance or sick raccoons may be trapped without a permit, but it is illegal to live trap and relocate them to a new area. In order to prevent the possible spread of raccoon diseases in Ohio, all live trapped raccoons must be released again on the homeowner's property or humanely euthanized. Consult your district wildlife office for further information.

Last edited:
smile.png

And nature will simply fill the void. Over and over and over again.

To the OP. You can pursue all the steps suggested above, but seriously. With that level of raccoon population, and of course, dense city neighborhoods can support 20 times the population per square mile than a country setting can, your chickens will have to live out their days in Ft Knox. There's not much choice.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom