Neighbor keeps feeding my cat... suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silkie Princess

Crossing the Road
Jun 24, 2021
Slovakia, Europe
My Coop
My Coop
Okay.. My neighbor keeps feeding my cat- and other cats, foxes and dogs. I just saw my cat sneaking in her garden and eating from a bowl that she put there. I called him (my cat) but he ignored me - for obvious reasons. Like she has a dog and feeds other animals (not her) rubbish?!? I know that's just cats but Isn’t there a solution? She is NOT a cat person. I once heard her talking to a friend about how annoyed she was about cats pooping in her garden. HOW CAN SOMEONE EVEN ASK SUCH A STUPID QUESTION?! Then when her cat died she threw his body on my property. She didn’t even care about burying it. She just threw the rotting thing there! I talked to her about the cat feeding problem a year ago but she happily ignored me. My cat is starting to get fat and I don't want him to have any issues. I love him and I really want him to have a nice and long life. I thought about maybe asking her to give the scraps to me and I'll give them to the chickens? She sometimes gave salad to my girls (without my permission) which was btw full of pesticides🙄 Any ideas welcome!

Last edited:
I think the solution is easy- keep your cat inside or bring him out on a leash when you can. If your neighbour is feeling other cats, dogs and foxes too that could easily go downhill and result in your cat being killed. And if your neighbour won’t listen then you’re already on the losing side. I’m not a fan of indoor/outdoor cats either just for the fact they kill so much wildlife and there are so many opportunities for them to be killed too. I have 4 acres of wooded land and my cats only go outside on leash or in their 10x10 chain link “catio”.

I'm going to dissapoint you but I'm not going to keep my cat indoors. I respect your oppinions but I'm just not doing that to my cat. He's been half wild (lol) for 4 years. He would hate me fussing around him. He actually doesn't really like to be petted much and he absolutely hates kids

I'm going to dissapoint you but I'm not going to keep my cat indoors. I respect your oppinions but I'm just not doing that to my cat. He's been half wild (lol) for 4 years. He would hate me fussing around him. He actually doesn't really like to be petted much and he absolutely hates kids
I have to agree with you here. I hate that cats kill so much wildlife, it really is a bummer, but I don't think there really is much you can do about it without keeping your cats indoors. I honestly think that some cat breeds are much happier and healthier outside. Take rescued cats who have lived outside most of their young lives for example, or Siamese. They are active, frisky, prey driven pets, who need plenty of room to hunt and run.
You can also purchase cat aprons to keep them from hunting birds, but I choose not to because I feel it lowers there ability to protect themselves.

OP, I don't have a lot of options for you sadly. Is it possible to make it so your cat can't get over to the neighbors property? A fence of some sort? I'm assuming this isn't a possibility.
I know some people use motion activated sprinklers to keep neighbors cats off their yard, is there a chance you could use the same method, but put them on your property line to keep your cat from going into her yard? Of course, this depends on were you live, how big your property is, and now close the houses are to each other.

You have two choices. You can keep the cat inside or you can let him go out and complain to anyone who will listen about the neighbor feeding him. That's it.

Fence him in. 6' fence with anti climb rollers on top (or electric) will contain him to your yard only.

Past that, you're not going to convince it to stay home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom